superduty transmission question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by supercuts, Mar 10, 2007.

1. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i have an 00 F550 with the 7.3L in it and she drives and shifts perfectly until it has to go into 4th gear., it wont! i took it in and they said its probably a simple o-ring that let go inside but by the time the ripped the whole tranny apart they just rebuild them. if it was the oring it would be over $1000 and to rebuild stronger than oem is $2600. my real question is i heard there is some valve/senser/whatever part that might cause this but i never really found out, anyone have any impup its appreciated

2. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Mark,
    Same problem with our "new" 2001 F550. Ours was the overdrive button/mechanism was faulty. Dealer repaired under the used truck warranty.
    Mark

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you get a transmission get one that is upgraded and heavier parts installed because the 550 is going to eat up automatic.

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

id honestly say go with a good rebuild. build it up to handle anything. but yes theres sometimes a spring in the valve body that will get misplaced and that can very well cause it, or there could be some shavings in it making the valves stick. it could be a number of things, theres so much crap in an auto trans! also definately try the overdrive button.

5. supercuts

thanks guys, i definately tried the OD button route, not that. the shop i took it to had it plugged into the computer on the road test and they manually put it in 4th gear but it stayed in 3rd. i was hoping to get a quick fix out of it.

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

o well, id say rebuild that bad boy, and make it even tougher!

7. Lucky1

Lucky1 LawnSite Member

Had a chevy wouldn't shift into high gear, was a shift module. Couple hundred bucks if I remember . found out just in time was ready to have trany rebuilt.

8. supercuts

lucky1, that is what i was trying to remember, i had someone tell me that and i couldnt remeber what the person said

9. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Go ahead and just do a allison.

10. supercuts

ahh yes, they only bad part of a ford is the only good part of a chevy. you most be an optimist!