superpages a scam

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by StoneMan88, Feb 2, 2008.

1. StoneMan88

StoneMan88 LawnSite Member
    from North

I got a call about 3 months ago from a sales rep from super pages.. well he talked me into super pages 1.00 per click this month I get a bill for $70.00 and no calls from them clicks period. crap. This is a scam. I read on here in previous posts a couple years ago about super pages was good yada yada. My advice to you guys, stay away.

Now I've got a contract for a year and from googling super pages and all the scam consumer alert pages come up seems like they still keep billing you and there hard to drop for an advertiser.

I spend about 8-10k a year on advertising.

This is the worst advertising money I've ever spent.

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a letter from our local yellow pages, read something like 'Deadline for renewing your ad Nov. 15th, 2007. Simply return this card with your payment of $249.00 to continue your ad for another year'.
    I have NEVER advertised with them. They had my bus. name and address correct. I looked in a few old books of theirs, no ad in there for my business.
    Just a scam! I guess if I had a secretary or someone paying my bills, they might have just written the check and mailed it. Instead, I used their SAS envelope, filled it up with a bunch of credit card offers, and mailed it back to them.

3. Hunter73

Hunter73 LawnSite Member

Now, that is funny!

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I get those also.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

For a nice system and you want to pay for traffic I would just use Google, but don't be too surprised if you have to pay for more than a few hundred eyeballs before you get a call, that is the reason I don't care much for per click, it is normally low in closure %.

To give you one example, I've paid for well over 1,000 clicks per close before, easily. It's not that unusual which is why I don't particularly like per click, I doubt seriously this would happen much but what if a competitor was able to just call a bunch of his friends and they all click your ad a few times?

So I don't think you want to pay per click without some sort of monitor, you need to know how the bill is racking up especially at the rate of a dollar each man, you got away real lucky what if that bill had come to 700 or worse still some nightmare figure like 70,000?

I wouldn't so much think of superpages as the scam, just pay the 70 and chalk it up, I know it's a rude awakening, sorry.

You want to start out low because billions of folks log on every day, I doubt there's that much demand for your specific services no offense but you never can know the whims of the Internet. Of course it has a lot to do with keyword popularity too, it never ceases to amaze me how some of these guys apparently don't mind paying like a thousand or more per day for the clicks, bidding 5 and 10 dollars for high profile keywords, that to me is just insane.

The only way per click is worth it to me is when it's cheap, but I haven't seen much worth paying for in a long time, the days of penny clicks appear long gone but those were the days when we could bid 1-2 cents and get a few clicks a day for it. But you might can find some keyphrase combination for slightly more, not sure what is the minimum nowadays, 5 cents, 10?

6. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok how much did you spend on your website. Whats the addy.

Might be blaming the wrong person.

7. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I get about 10-15 new customers a month during the growing season with Superpages. Its far from a scam.

Where are you located? If you aren't near a large town, you'd be wasting alot of money trying to market like that.

Google Adwords would be a better solution since you can set your keywords up and target by location without paying a monthly fee or anything like Superpages.

Tough deal, thats why I ask marketing companies how much business they can get me before I do anything.

I'll be signing up with Superpages for another year this July. Very effective on my end.

8. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

$1.00 per click is the most rediculous amount I've ever heard for pay per click advertising. Most companies allow you to "bid" how much you are willing to pay per click, with those bidding the most having their ads displayed closer to the top. 7 cents is considered an extremly high bid. I bid 3 cents for google ad sense, and have been told by google that I will be #1 on almost all of the keywords I chose. Superpages is ripping you off!!

9. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Ad words is what you advertise on.

Also, my minimum -required- bid for google adwords is .20 and that isnt going to get you -any- face time. You'll be on the very last page. To keep in the 1-3 slot you're gonna have to bid around 1.80... 1.25ish you'll roam around the 4-10 on the first page.

7 cents a click... I dunno about that. Thats sounds like some old school google. I'm not saying you're a liar, but you might want to check your campaign. Google is a money hungry goliath of a company and I just dont see them taking 7 cent clicks still. I thought the standard minimum was .20

10. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

i was in a local yellow pages last year , and payed $460 for like a big add, and did not want to renew it the next season..

i get the letter in the mail a coulpe of months ago and it says its our policy to renew youre contract with us and will be billing you like $50 a month or somthing.., im like WTF i dont want that, but apartyly they have like already starrted printing, i wish would could do that with our buisness, but noone takes landscaping seroiusly.