Supervisory Exam - Connecticut

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mkroher, Oct 3, 2004.

1. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

hello, i'm going for the test October 20th this year. Just wondering if anyone in Connecticut can give me some tips/advice/etc to better prepare myself. I'm self taught: books, experience, friends etc.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

It is very tough test. Study a whole mess. There is a saftey part (50 questions) then 125 general questions, 10 Identification slides, and math questions. Once pass with 75 then there is the oral part which isn't fun.

3. mkroher

the oral part isn't in the same day correct? I get notified by mail 4-6 weeks later if i passed the written, then i return for the oral?

Thanks for the response

4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

You are notified of written test results by mail. The oral exam is scheduled by mail there after.

In the oral, don't guess. Er on the side of using the least amount of chemical required to get the job done the first time. Er on selecting the least toxic chemical that will do the jon with the least colateral damage possible in one application.

Retreats are costly on the consumer & could needlessly expose you, the environment & the customer to a pesticide event a second time.

If you don't know the proper chemcial, rate or timing, make it clear you have the discipline & resources available to find out the correct answer before you would treat.

Good luck & let us know how you do.

Steve

5. sweetjetskier

sweetjetskier LawnSite Senior Member

The written test is tough, but if you know your stuff you are ahead of the game. I passed mine, but I had just graduated with a degree in horticulure and turf. You need to have a very good understanding of all aspects of topics covered under the " blue book". Well worth the time to have the specialization of a supervisory license. There are not many people in CT who have this license, so why not take it make it a very profitable section of your company. We have been growing very quickly and are known to be a low cost compant, but customers love our service and are willing to pay for it because we can give them what they are looking for. The license is key to growth and $$$.

6. mkroher

blue book?

7. Envi-Lawn

Envi-Lawn LawnSite Member
    from CT

Mike, Soundview Landscape Supply in W Haven is offering classes to prepare for the test. They work with the DEP to help people get their license call them at 203 931 1230 Good luck

8. mkroher

TONY!!

What's up man?

Thanks for the info, but.. my test is in like.. 14 days :/

9. sweetjetskier

sweetjetskier LawnSite Senior Member

The blue book i was refering to is a study guide from the classes i took at west hartford uconn. There is info on weeds, insects, diseases, calculatiions, etc, everything you need to know to be be prepared for the test.

10. mkroher

ahh yes. i do have that. cover is different color though. it's my bible right now :)