SuperZ 28 EFI

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Tider6972, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I am about to buy a SuperZ, and have to decide between a 27horse and a 28 horse.

I really like the 28EFI, but am concerned that there may 'potentially' be more problems with it, since it is relatively new in the lineup, than with the 27 horse. Can any of you, especially you, mowerconsultant, offer any words of advice and/or experiences ?

Any tales of experiences with these units will be welcome info for me.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to see what everyone who has used the 28efi super z has to say about it as well.

I'm needing a second machine to go along with my 25hp Kawi Super Z, and the EFI has my attention.

Hopefully I can arrange a demo with a 28hp EFI early next week to see how much better it runs the 60" deck than my 25hp Kawi does.

So, come on 28hp EFI guys, tell us what you think. :)

3. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I have almost 600hrs on my 27 Kohler with no engine problems at all.

4. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

I've got a 27 Kohler 60"Super and love it. Seems like a couple of days back I read a post on here (Husler forum) where someone w/ the same mower complained of the lack of torque vs speed, saying they'd rather have the torque. They say they have used (or bought) the EFI and it has no torque issues at all. As far as issues w/ the EFI, while it may be new to the Hustler lineup its been in use (26HP and now 28HP) for some time with Toro, Exmark and others. I know several LCO's who have used the Toro 26EFI (Toro is the dominant mower around here because of a great dealer) and now the 28 and have had very few problems and they really like the economy. If you use one full-time, all day, the extra "gas mileage" may eventually offset the added front-end expense but for me I'm only part-time. I mow some pretty steep hills and have yet to have any problems in tall grass, etc. as far as torque goes. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm quite happy w/ the 27 as it is a hoss, but depending on your situation the 28EFI may be the one and I definitely wouldn't worry about engine.

5. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

Oops, my bad. I just found the post I just referred to and it was the "Why buy a SuperZ" currently on the second page of the Hustler forum and about the 5th or 6th post refers to loosing wheel pumps/motors etc and says nothing about the EFI related to torque. They refer to the awesome ATZ, not EFI. I'm sure I've read it somewhere....maybe the big red X forum as I really try to read stuff from all over Lawnsite to educate myself. All the rest I stated I'm sure about though!

6. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I just recently bought a Super Z with a 28EFI, it has plenty of power and torque. I have 200 hours on it or so, runs flawlessley. I have only had one problem, and that was a broken seat, but even that was fixed in 2 days. I also have a 26 EFI on a Exmark lazer, have 680 hours on that one, and have had no problems at all with it, great motors, I wouldnt be afraid of the EFI motors, im going to get EFI on my next Super Z

7. WLLD

WLLD LawnSite Member

I currently own a 60 inch 25hp Kaw Super Z - Demoed a 28 EFI a couple of weeks ago. There is a significant difference in the performance. The 28EFI went up hills (maybe 30 degrees) in thick grass without any hesitation - as where my 25hp Kaw will slow down and you notice the load. I am not familiar with long term reliability on Kohlers though - have always owned Kawasaki.

Shayne

8. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

Guys this may be new to the hustler line up but not to the Industry. The 28 EFI Is 27hp with efi on it. THE EFI is a bosch system which has been in the Automotive for years.I beleive it is the VW system but dont quote me. They had water issues when they first came out 5 years ago but have change they way the seal the computer board. This engine has unbeilvable torque. Dont be afraid of it. Dealers that don t like this engine either dont know how or dont have the Kohler software to test it. This is the tip of the iceburg. EFI is here to stay. Kawasaki has ther version in a 29hp- a 27 with efi. With the software it easy to test.
    The fuel savings and torque is all you need to justify the extra cost.20-30% more fuel economy than the 27 hp. As they say its a no brainer!!!!!!!!!!!:)

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Fuel Injection Rules!! Take my word on it.
    John

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I personally like the idea of having a little more get up from the 28 EFI than on my 27 hp Kohler but I can't see that you will be able to make up the difference in fuel savings. I am not in the commercial mowing buisness but if you save about 30% in fuel and say you burn 300 gallons a year you would be saving about $165.00. I am figuring this on what we pay in N.C. for gas at this time per gallon. It would take 6 years to pay the difference in cost of mowers at this rate and I realize everybody is in different situations but I would like to hear some comments on this from people that mow for a living.