SuperZ s and mulching ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tider6972, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Do any of you Hustler SuperZ owners mulch?

I'm looking to buy a SuperZ EFI 60" deck, and need to know how it mulches, especially in the early morning dew, on Bermuda and St. Augustine?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

Tider,
    You may want to read my rather lengthy response to Fescue Farmers post in the Hustler forum titled "Will mulch kit prevent blowout?". The gist of it is that the mukch kit works excellent on dryer turf but for me it really gummed up (ie, clumped and dumped) in heavy wet fescue. I realize you have different turf types and that could make a real difference but I'd say the moisture may have the same effect regardless. In any case I'd very highly recommend the blowout baffle if using the mulch kit. Matter of fact I'd say its a "must-have" as it virtually eliminated any blowout in the front and was inexpensive @ $50 as I recall. Although I removed the mulch kit I kept the blowout baffle installed while running a QwikChute.

3. Tider6972

from Alabama

Thanks, I'll look there.

Nice nick, by the way:)

Steve

4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

set your rpms to 3750 no load.

qwikchute closed.

works for me.

doubles.jpg

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Tider,

I have a Super Z with a 52" deck and YES, it mulches in the dew and in heavy rain on St Augustine when set at 4". I don't have any Bermuda lawns other than a couple that are infested with wild Bermuda and it mulches them with no problem. I use the regular mid lift blades in the spring and am now using doubles with the mid lifts on the bottom and a wavy 48" Exmark mulch blade on the top.

6. mowerman90

Forgot to mention that I also have installed the "anti-blowout " kit which prevents blowout from the left side of the deck.

7. Tider6972

from Alabama

Thanks to all for your responses !

mowerman90, I was hoping to hear from a Florida cutter. My conditions are very similar, heavy morning dew and afternoon showers, dense St. Augustine.

Do you have much Bahia, dallisgrass or other long stem grass there? If so, does your set-up hande those or do you have to change something to get a good cut on stems?

Thanks,
    Steve

8. bp418

bp418 LawnSite Member

I have a 48in eXmark, with the micro-mulch system. It does great on wet Bahia and on the Flora also. The only "clumps" I get are usually over the septic drain fields, where the grass is really green and grows like mad!! Sometime alittle buildup on the small banks along canals. Take care. Keep the blades sharp!!

9. mowerman90

Tider,

Yes, I have just a couple of Bahia lawns and my mulch deck handles them fairly well. Although, at this time of year it seems that the stems grow about 1 ft per week and sometimes you have to either back up over them or double cut to make it look presentable.