1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

supplier thought they were being generous.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, May 18, 2008.

what would you do?

1. call up the company and have them pick it back up and risk losing a good supplier?

3 vote(s)
  2. lay down the extra mulch and bill it to the customer?

0 vote(s)
  3. lay down the mulch and eat the extra labor?

0 vote(s)
  4. pay your labor to reload it and take it back to the shop for another job?

13 vote(s)
  1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

o.k. what would you do if you ordered 40 yards of mulch and the supplier gave you 70 for the price of 40 but delivered it to the job site and you had no reasonable way to reload the extra mulch?
  2. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

30 yards is a lot of mulch to just park somewhere waiting for another job. But since you'd be eating it on labor anyways, (stay on good terms with supplier) you might as well try to save on materials for your next job. Dude that sucks.
  3. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't you leave the 30 yrds there and use it for the next scheduled job. Worst case rent a tractor to put it into the trucks and either bring it to your shop or to the other jobs.

30 yrds FREE

-if you had to pay for the mulch (30x20= $600)
    rental of bobcat/tractor $150- 200
    you are still left with $400 saved from the 'free' mulch
  4. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

if it was going to the shop thats great but at a job does not make any sense, they should have just gave you one load for free now the extra mulch is costing you $. I might have rejected the delivery if i was there but if i was not i would just load it on the truck and take it to the next job.
  5. I would have made a few phone calls and sold it.
  6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

well, what happened is that i was there for the first load. his truck holds 35 yards. he dropped that off and said he'd be back with the rest. i had other things to attend to so i wasn't there when he dropped off the other load. i'm assuming it was more than 5 yards though because it was the same size pile as the first one. now i'm paying guys to load it into my 2 trucks and i'm dumping it back at my house because i dont have a shop.
  7. ponyboy

from ny

30 yard at $12 a yard root mulch $360 i own a machine just the time and fuel, nice jester but should have told you. 70 at one load, we get 40 in roll off, it was nice but cold end up being a PITA or not so what was the out come?
  8. ponyboy

from ny

did you break even or lose money, what did you think of the extra mulch
  9. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

Yea but then he would have to rent a machine for another $150-$200 to load it back into a truck when it comes time to use it unless he can bring it directly to another jobsite. And unless he has a dump it would most likely not be feasible to move that much with a trailer. Either call the supply yard to take it away or ask another landscaper if they would want to buy it for maybe $10 bucks a yard or any reduced price if they will haul it with their own equipment.

Or just post an ad on craigslist, I'm sure you'd be able to sell it for some amount.
  10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

The delivery guy must not have thought this through, or just not too smart. If you wanted 40, anything over 43 yards would just be a pia.