Suppliers? Best Deals?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BSME, Apr 13, 2004.

1. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Where do you guys get your supplies from? This is my first season of buying mass quantities from a supplier. I have an account at both John Deere Landscapes and Premier Distributors (probably only a MI thing). Neither of these guys list prices come close to sprinklerwarehouse.com..... What kind of discount would the suppliers start offering? for example... I febco 1inch backflow preventer is listed as $61.90 instead of $130 at John Deere... Hunter timer 69.75 instead of $120... o yea.. free shipping... am I missing something here? What do you guys do? Aquamatic... I got a feeling you got some knowledge here.
    Thanks guys

2. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere charges you 130 For a febco pvb? holy smokes!

They must be charging you retail.

I can pick those up at our local supplier for 55 or so

3. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Yea that's what I was trying to ask.... these are strictly list prices out of the book. I was wondering what kind of discount and how long it takes to get the best discount with the local supplier. Trust me... I would rather use the local supplier but if I would have to start earning credit and paying over $100 for a febco pvb i'd go to the internet. Thanks

4. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

I'd ask them what the discount is.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

You should be able to get a decent discount as soon as you set up an account. And over time ask for a better rate on some of your more highly used parts. Don't pay $100 for a PVB, you should be paying at least half that. Heck I can get a 1" Febco PVB at Home Depot for under $70.

6. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

Average discount from suppliers to new accounts just getting set in the business is 40-45% discount from retail.

As for who has the "real" retail cost that I go by, its the actual Manufacturers. I have pricing catologs for Hunter, Rainbird, Toro, etc and Watts and Febco. I also never charge full retail to the customer I dicount from 5-15 % for parts

As for vendors - I also use John Deere, Stateline Irrigation( Mass Only), Canaglobe (Entire East Coast)

A list price on a 1"Febco at JD is around 125.00

I am paying for 49.00

7. ldr1976

ldr1976 LawnSite Member

WISH (Western Irrigation Supply House) not positive of all there loction in US but there is one Colorado and Texas. I bought all my supplies there for years. 50% of list price.