Supply Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by TPnTX, Mar 21, 2006.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not a irrigation installer but I do have a question. Are any of the products from HD or Lowes worth installing or is it all crap. Heads controllers and such? Is it the same with some of their other products in terms of commercial/residential quality.

I do have a small job I thinking of doing. So it wouldn't be like I'm buying supplies constantly.

2. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I dont know about the supply houses in TX but...

when I first started doing sprinklers on the side, all I had to do was open an account at John Deere and they immediately would start giving you pretty huge savings... If it works the same I would open an account, tell them you are going to get into irrigation and they'll answer all your questions. Even if you only buy for the one or two jobs...

... anyway... you could do that here...
  3. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

i didn't stress how easy it was to open an account....

I had to give them my name and phone number
  4. Not all the stuff is crap,not the best stuff either. However, the same thing can be bought for almost half price at an irrigation house.
  5. The Yard Barber Inc.

The Yard Barber Inc. LawnSite Member

I buy from John deere landscapes too. I have found that some of the products are close to the same. I know that john deere only comes where i live in tuesdays and thursdays. If i have to get only a few things, i will buy from lowes. but if i have time to wait, then its john deere landscapes all the way
  6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Some of the fittings, funny pipe, wire are the same. HD also carries RB1800 heads, which are the same. Stay away from the Toro stuff.

Better yet, just buy what you need at the many irrigation supply houses on the 'net. Marsan Turf is a good one to start with, among others.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

My HD carries "consumer" branded RB 1800's...They aren't the same as the ones we get from JD or Fowler.
  8. TPnTX

And the controllers are they good prices at JD?

Im doing landscape for this guy down the street. We're ont in the country and he has a huge yard. It's a field acutally so the only irrigation will be for the beds around the house and entry gate.

thanks for the help.
  9. ESprinklers

ESprinklers LawnSite Member

Exactly what are you looking for specifically?
  10. TPnTX

[Exactly what are you looking for specifically?]

What type controller am I looking for?
    I wanted to know if the Orbit 12 station at HomeDepot for 100.00 is wort using or is it part of the crap pile.