Support, attitudes.perception.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coolluv, Sep 16, 2009.

1. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Well I have been looking into other ways to make a living. As I believe that this industry is so saturated that its nearly impossible to make a decent living at this. Sure if you have been around for a while you might be doing alright. I know there are some on here who have been at it for years and are established that are doing very well. But under the current economic situation and the ease of entry into this industry I believe its a losing battle.

I have visited other forums on a different industry that has my interest and its like night and day compared to this place. Everyone is very helpful and they are willing to share contracts, marketing ideas, tricks of the trade and so on. Not here! Sure I have read up on all the old post over the years and have learned a thing or two. But its amazing how different this other forum is. Maybe its this industry. How many times can you post about what mower should I get.

People on this forum don't share anything of any importance. Its dog eat dog. I guess its this industry and the type of people that are in it. Its refreshing to see that others are willing to help you succeed. You won't find that here. Smart ass remarks are most of what you get here. I have seen so much support on this other forum that it really made me laugh at this forum.

Not to mention the perception of this industry from people in general. Its not good. Unless you do landscaping and hardscapes and are a bigger company your just a monkey pushing a lawn mower. People just don't respect this industry. Especially the way things are now. Every one and their mother is a landscaper. I have a friend in this other industry that started out last year, he is doing very well. So I started to look into it and find forums about it. Its like a whole different world. Everyone is more than happy to help. I have yet to see one smartass remark or reply to anyones questions.

I have worked this part time for 2 years and this year I went full time out of necessity. I had high hopes. Well things went all right but not what I hoped for. I was thinking that I would revamp and really hit it hard next year. Lots of advertising. knocking on doors, going for commercial accounts. Investing in more equipment etc. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that sure I could do all that and maybe do all right. But for what. Bust my ass and work for peanuts? Prices are dropping like a rock in this industry and have been for years. Customers could care less about quality.

They want the cheapest company they can find. Lowballers, illegals, scumbags with no insurance how much can you take. Prices dropping and equipment prices rising every year. Profit margins getting slimmer and slimmer. I thought what the hell am I doing. Throwing good money to bad. Then you come here looking for ways to try and make it work and all you have is the same **** over and over. Nobody willing to share ideas or help one another. Just a bunch of dicks who think they are Donald trump.

Anyway, I'm looking at other interest and boy is it refreshing to see a totally different type of people who are more willing to help and are eager to see you succeed. Like I said before, I have a friend in this other industry and he makes more in a week with less hours than most on here make in months busting their ass. I'm not saying he doesn't work hard, but the financial rewards are far greater than this. Much more potential, not a saturated business and the potential for growth is greater and alot faster than this.

I'm sure this post will be deleted fairly quickly as the truth is not looked upon on here too kindly. This place is not about your success, its about selling dummies products.

So lets here from the peanut gallery, as long as this post is around. Which won't be that long.

Dave...

2. coolluv

from Atlanta

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Hmm...

Good point.

I have nothing of value to add, but there's a lot of truth to what you said. Thank you.

4. WGLandscapeMaintenance

WGLandscapeMaintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a quick question, what is this "heavenly industry"?

5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Carpentry.

6. WGLandscapeMaintenance

Oh, well screw that crap. I hate carpentry work! I absolutely can't stand doing wood work.

rant over

7. coolluv

from Atlanta

8. jhawk60

jhawk60 LawnSite Member
    from VA

Yeah, no illegals or out of work framers willing to do that work for peanuts. :laugh:

9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't say I disagree with you, on all points. I've been coming here for almost 8 years, its nothing like it was back then.

10. WGLandscapeMaintenance