Support our troops - free mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Sep 8, 2004.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

All the talk about about supporting the troops is just talk. Next veterans day lets show them our appreciation for protecting are azzes by giving them a free mow. Not just your customers but any vet that will accept it should recieve one. They gave and give alot more than 1 day for all of us, so let show a little appreciation and give them 1 day of not haveing to mow.

dcondon likes this.
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

one of my neighbors got activated. he's army reserve. all season i have mowed his lawn for free. thought it was the least i could do.

WeatherMan likes this.
  3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Very, very cool. :waving:

4. jbt

jbt LawnSite Member

A neighbor of mine called and wanted a quote for her yard. Her husband was called up and will be gone close to two years. $50.00 yard and qouted her $15.00.

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Im glad to see all the awareness. Next season I will be setting up a program through the "I can" cancer foundation and taking on 2 or 3 lawns for cancer paitients (for free of course)

jbt likes this.
  6. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

One of my neighbors got activated and will be gone for a year. I told my daughter before he left(she babysit's for them) that I'd do the lawn for her if she wanted. "Oh Dad, Mrs.X mows it herself because she says she likes to." Well, that didn't last too long. Chico who does both houses along side her's is doing it and I'm sure it's not for free. I feel kind of awkward asking to do it for nothing now that she's got someone else started already. You guys think I should? I don't plow any snow other than my own so I will offer to do that. for her.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Its great and so heart warming to hear that there are thoses that truly appreciate what a sacrifice these men and woman are making. Next yr were working with a co. and hope to provide flags on the tree lawns to all the homes leading into our small town. Plus we will be mowing vets lawns for 2 days prior to the holiday. Thanks for the responses and appreciation :waving: and lets not forget.

Mac

8. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

My neighbor left in June and I've been doing his weekly maintenance as well as pruning and bed work for him free of charge. I feel its the least I can do to help him and his family out

9. SunSwept

SunSwept LawnSite Member

I don't know of any activated vets where I live else I would certainly help them out. Last year, a marine Medal of Honor recipient who resided in the area died. I take care of the outside the place for his widow. I take nothing for it.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

pro enterprises, good man. a few years back, i had a woman call me, asked for service for her sons house. he was dying of cancer, and wanted to spend the remainder of his time in his own home. when i was made aware of this, i told him i would not accept any money. i cut the lawn, and even did some weeding, and planted a few shrubs free of charge. i watched him deteriorate for 2 years . i would have no problem providing free service to someone in his position. good idea too mac, i'd go a mow or two to show my appreciation.