surcharge for overgrow lawns???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, May 31, 2004.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I know many of us are struggling with "chemlawns/etc.". Worse, is these same people only want the grass cut once a week. Now, my machine will cut the grass, but since it's much too long, there's more time spent blowing the walkways and drives, plus I sure notice the mowers using more gas because they are running harder with the governors almost wide open.
    So, have we thought about a 20% surcharge or "something" for these type of customers.
    My good customers want the lawn cut as needed, which is twice a week right now......
    Also, funny but these same people that only want the lawn cut once a week, don't care if the grass is laying all over the lawn. We all know there's more work and stress on the machine for this type of cutting....What you do think about charging for it????
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i'm all for it part timer. also, these people should be locked into a weekly cut through july + august
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the only thing that you might have a problem with, is what are you going to use to determine which ones are overgrow and which ones are not?
  4. Doc Pete

So, what you think is a good solution? I know you and I are at the same place and have the same problems.........
  5. Doc Pete

I was thinking something like a gauge for the length. Anything over 5" of growth would be an extra 20%.........
    FWIW, my 23 horse kaw's are really drinking the gas with these long lawns...........And, because we have to cut slower and/or don't take a full cut, the lawn just takes longer to mow.
    Maybe I should up the lawns $10 and then see the "profit" in the summer.
    HOWEVER..... this is when the no names would come in and do the lawn for less, and I'd look like I was charging too much.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

last year i charged $20 extra a month for the surge growers during the month of may only. i explained it nicely(it was only 3 lawns) and they understood. also, none of this, "skip me in july and august nonsense." it's a give and take thing. this year i actually got rid of one customer because of excessive growth. i tell the surge growers that the lawn is priced for 20-25 minutes worth of service. i need to spend extra time because i want to leave it perfect, i'll need to charge $5 extra a week during heavy growing season. btw, how on earth do u get people to pay for mowing twice a week? that's a good racket. do they pay full price twice a week?
  7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would write it in there contract that you will charge them 10% for each inch over 4 inches
  8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you need more horse power or a different set-up. :)

I don't charge extra. I just charge enough to begin with and do what I have to do to make the last look the best I can in the time I have allotted to the account.
  9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Pete- We have a 30% high cut fee in our agreements. This applies to first cuts , interrupted service from non / slow pay, and also to excess growth from fert / rain. Clipping cleanup , if needed, is extra as well.
  10. Johnson's Lawn & Snow

Johnson's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

i charge $5.00 for any res, & 10.00 for commercial with arrigation, cause there grass grows faster, on weekly basis.