1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sure you are tired of this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevhov, Nov 26, 2007.

1. kevhov

kevhov LawnSite Member

I'm new and doing my first leaf cleanup. I've read that most of you charge per man hour for these jobs. But just to give the guy some idea of how much it will be, about how long should it take me to clear about a half an acre yard of leaves. I'm using a Walker GTS and a br600 blower with tarps and a trailer. I realize they are all different, just looking for a rough guess. I'm working alone.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say at least 2 hour min possibly 3
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

This depends on the leaves, How much, what type, wet, dry, frost? I have done one property 1/3 acre that one time with 2 of us it took 1/2 hr and another time it took 4hr we will see what this week brings but I am guessing some where in between. The amount of leaf litter is the key then how wet are they?
    good luck there is really no way to get you an exact time you should allot.
  4. kevhov

kevhov LawnSite Member

The leaves completely cover the grass. I'm sure they will be wet this week here in sc. Add the fact that this is my first one and I don't have any experience or pattern. I don't want to over charge the guy for that because I'm sure it will take me an hour or so to figure out a rhythm and pattern for efficiency. And years to improve on that. I have to haul the leaves away and am thinking of going ahead and builing a plywood box on my trailer. Any of you guys do that?
  5. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

I have a customer that wants hers done 1/month(~1.5-2 ac)
    Oct it took 2 of use a little over an hour
    Nov it took 2 of use right at 3
    It just depends on how thick/wet the leaves are
    Dont forget to add disposal time in your price
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going to say 3 plus hrs if it's just you.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Atleast. Don't forget, you will becleaning up all your perimeters (fence lines and/or structures) and all your beds and hard surfaces have to be cleaned.
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

That is a impossible question to ask us. We have no idea how thick/wet/dry the leaves are or how windy it will be or how fast/slow you are. Some type of leaves mulch easier than others and therefore there is more room in the bagger. So many variables in the leaf biz. This is why I give a wide price range and try my best to get hourly
  9. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

dont think i can awsner that , sorry, id need to see a pic.
  10. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Just a suggestion, if this is your first one, bid what you think is a little high, keep track of everything you do and how long it takes, then chalk this one up to a learning experience. As said earlier, there is no set formulation to figuring leaf jobs. One word of advice. Bid the job, tell them that is the price for today only. Why you ask? Tomorrow could bring winds and blow more leaves either into or out of the yard and that will change the price. I have been in the business for 7yrs and I have to chalk one up to "advertisement" now and then!