sureguard+roundup=dead creeping dayflower?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Anyone use this combo on this with good results and if so did it have good pre-emerge effects?

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Dayflower has been a longtime problem in areas where there is too much water. I do not think it is the RoundUp that killed the dayflower. We have a species that is not affected substantially by Glyphosate. What will kill it is phenoxy herbicides, triclopyr, Goal, Dismiss, or Sureguard. One of the "quats" will do the job too.

3. Yes..too much water and this weed thrives. Problem is that once it shows up it seems to keep coming back. I've gotten it chlorotic with 4oz/gal of gly but it doesn't die. Im going to add the surguard and see if it keeps it away for a little while.

4. greendoctor

Goal, Sureguard and Dismiss have similar modes of action and are preemergent herbicides as well. One of the most impressive kills I have seen on established dayflower came from 1 Qt Reward and 1 Qt Goaltender. It died and did not grow back for months.

5. I also have some properties with artillery fern...my buddy told me surguard will fry it and keep it away for a while.

6. greendoctor

True. It is well known in Hawaii that Ronstar or Sureguard will kill emerged artillery plant. Putting glyphosate on it is a waste of money.

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

If you are talking the Asiatic day flower, then I feel your pain. I've got one client that I've been fighting it for over 5 years now.

Gordon's surge will do the trick in lawns. The Sulfentrazone is a known killer.

Spike roundup with it in the landscape and you'll kill it. But...... Surge is not recommended for landscape applications, and if you use it, it must be a spot application on the weed itself so that any residue or residual won't kill any desired plants.

Purdue studies on farm fields infested with it have shown 85%-90% kill on the dayflower with round-up alone.

8. greendoctor

Dismiss is now labeled as a directed spray around shrubs and trees. Good news for those of us fighting broadleaves, kyllinga, and nutsedge.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

and this is what I'm referring to.

[​IMG]

10. greendoctor

Different from what is in the South/tropics. Surge is a combination of the most effective products for control of dayflower species.