1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Surface Hardening of blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ddeciechi, Aug 25, 2006.

1. ddeciechi

ddeciechi LawnSite Member
    from mi

I am a heat treater in Detroit MI. If any of you guys want to try a blade that is surface hardened, I would be glad to process some for you free of charge. The process is called ferritic nitrocarburizing and hardens the surface only. It is important to leave the core soft to keep ductility for safety. I am trying to research the benefit of this process on mower blades. All you have to do is supply the baldes and pay for shipping.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i would be interested in this process.
  3. ddeciechi

from mi

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

If its just on the surface then what happens when they sharpen them and remove the surface? Nothing stays sharp forever...
  5. ddeciechi

from mi

You are correct. It would have to be processed each time after sharpening. But if it doubles or triples the life then it would be worth it.
  6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Will it keep the lifts on the back of the blade from wearing out?

The cutting edge; if it lasts 4X longer will only be good for 3 days under normal use.:confused: Then pay for round trip postage and at least 5 days out of service. Purchasing enough blades to allow a constant fresh supplypayup

Nice idea.... but the practical limitations will probably be it's demise.
    If the process could be done quickly and economically; in shop, it would be something to look into.
    With the price of blades (mowpart) and quick sharpening machinery (magnamatic) it's going to be a tough sell.
  7. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

there are these self sharening plastic blades being marketed. it looks like the way they work is the bottom is essential hardened. it is a layer of fiberglass or something. the top part of the blade wears back quicker then the bottom and leaves a thin therefore sharp edge at the bottom of the blade. when i saw this i wondered if the same thing could be done cost effectively with metal blades. can you just harden the bottom of the blade so the natural wear would leave the blade sharp???
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

What depth are you hardening to?
    Will the blades need to be cleaned before processing for good adherance?
    There are many surface hardening processes but cost is obviously the factor to be overcome since new blades can be bought for under $10 a piece.
    It does have some merit for new blade coating though.