Surfactant at high rates and temperature

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Jul 18, 2013.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I tested a non-ionic surfactant (Bonide Turbo spreader sticker), at high and low rates during a hot spell, 94 degree days as high temps. I applied with a hand sprayer on a fine fescue Kentucky bluegrass mixture in light shade. I applied an equivalent of 2.3 gallons of solution per thousand sqft.
    I applied at the rate of about 1, 1.4, 2, and 8 percent.

There was no injury to the grass.

It appears to me that a non-ionic surfactant can be safely used even at high rates, and even in hot weather.

What is your experience?
  2. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

I spotted a few yards this year with Li 700 to much with my T3000. Was a mix of speed zone 1.5 oz per K and 16-20 oz of LI per 16 gal. There is a thread here with pics it won't let me repost. I have since changed to a generic sticker spreader and still at 1.5 and no issues same yards. backing down now due to heat. to 1.3 oz SZ.
  3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I have used water based nonionic surfactant, not spreader sticker at up to 1/2 oz per gallon of mixed solution with most herbicides and not had any additional burn. On most weeds, not using some kind of surfactant such as nonionic or MSO is a cause of treatment failure.
  4. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

i get some turfgrass yellowing by using 80/20 on bermuda/zoysia. It is faint but is removed by mowing. This is with spot spraying and not by blanket treatments. If so, it is so faint that it is considered dry stress.
    I can't speak for the tttf, rye,kbg fellow lco's.
  5. RigglePLC

10 seconds later. Fine, Green. But what is 80/20?
    If it is a surfactant what was the concentration? Temp? Herbicide?
  6. Hans

Hans LawnSite Member

So it sounds like I could spray broad leaf and CG in fescue kentucky bluegrass at lower mix rate above 90 degree temps with a spreader sticker?? And not have damage to the lawn??
  7. RigglePLC

Opinion. I think, yes, you can use surfactant at high temps.

I also used herbicides at 90 degrees, but you should be very cautious, if you are not following directions. Your conditions and grass species are probably different from mine. Do a small area at first.

I think triclopyr may be slightly more risky at high temps, but our high temps are gone for the time being. T-zone has triclopyr which is not labeled for Bermuda, for instance.

Naturally, be careful with spot spraying, as it is difficult to apply the proper amount--accurate calibration and application are much less likely.

See Thinkgreen's comments about spot spraying Bermuda/zoysia.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  8. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

80/20 surfactant by Drexel.
    Principal functioning agent: alkyl polyoxyethlene ethers: 80%
    Constitutes ineffective as spray adjuvant: 20%

backpack.............0.16 ounces per gallon or 1 pint per 100 gallons.