Surfactant Options

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 3XTEKS, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Sure have a cas # or a sample and cash for testing.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Crop oil concentrate is mineral oil with a specific boiling point, maximum unsulfonated residue and maximum aromatic hydrocarbon content. With a suitable emulsifier at 20% of the volume. Most mineral oils are probably too high boiling and containing impurities that are phytotoxic. You are also looking at how to get said oil to emulsify without making a hot mix. Most surfactants sold over the counter or at fertilizer dealers are not designed to do this safely. I would leave formulating adjuvants to the the manufacturers. Which is why I have 4 different additives on the truck. Each one has its proper use.

3. Duekster

from DFW, TX

And other types of mineral oils may have other environmental hazards as well as various dangers to the operator.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Next to Mosquito eating Fish, mineral oil is a great inexpensive Mosquito larvicide. Biological controls like Mosquito eating fish are easier in ponds or bodies of water that retain water year round. But Mineral Oil is best used in that water Detainment area that dry up.

5. 3XTEKS

3XTEKS LawnSite Member

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

As the label says, do you have experiance in knowing it will not cause problems. The other 15% is the emulisfier, what are you going to use for that?

I think Greens DR summed it up well. :rolleyes:

There are too many types of "mineral Oil"