Surfer/Stand-on opinion

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Masters LC, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Lawn Masters LC

Lawn Masters LC LawnSite Member

We aquired a Great Dane Super Surfer in a biz aquisition. We love it. We're looking to buy two more. Do you have any opinion on John Deere vs. Great Dane. We're more fond of the Kawasaki engine.

Lawn Masters Lawncare, Inc.
    500k biz and growing.

2. Spirit Lanwcare

Spirit Lanwcare LawnSite Member

The fabricated deck on the Great Dane is much better than the stamped steel deck on the Deere. IMHO

Almost all of your commercial mowers have a heavy duty welded fabricated deck not stamped steel.

If you like the Dane stick with the Dane...we have used Kohler engines for years with very good success.

3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Oh and why is that? :confused:

4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Well, another who has 'no clue' about a 7-Iron deck !

5. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

What are the pros and cons for each. I have wondered but have no clue. I was thinking of buying the intermediate Cub Cadet Z mower with the 23HP Kohler but I did notice it had a stamped deck and thier commercials are fabricated. The intermediate mower is about $1600 dollars less. I only have 17 yards and thought it would be fine. But i was curious about the difference between the decks.
    Joe

6. Spirit Lanwcare

You get a better quality of cut from a fabricated deck and they will last longer.

Any stamped deck (even 7 gage) has it's weak points in comparison.

I have tried the 7 iron deck and I don't think that it cuts as well especially in the early spring when the grass is really thick and I was not impressed by the discharge either.

7. Tider6972

from Alabama

spirit, your "observations"completely belie your statement that you've "tried the 7-Iron".

Your list of weak points are actually it's strengths: cutting AND discharging thick, wet grass! Florida LCOs who cut thick St. Augustine in the dailey summer showers of Florida can attest.

I run Hustlers, but I'd love to have the 7-Iron decks on them !

8. Spirit Lanwcare

You run Hustlers so...

You really have no clue about the 7 iron decks....are you just believing the "hype?"

9. Teiman

Teiman LawnSite Member

STAMPED VS FABRICATED DECKS

Fabricated, (cut, bent and welded) should
    hold up longer, always thicker and heavier and usually deeper.
    Downside is more weight, sometimes twice as much

Stamped (draw/stretch formed and trimmed) are always thinner
    lighter and sometimes shallow, this can be a problem in taller
    grass.

I have had stamped decks rust out. Hard to repair because
    of the thinner material is difficult to weld especially after rust.

I design stamping dies for my full time job, sometimes for Deer.
    (25 years) So please buy the stamped deck and support my job.

Personally I own some of both but my favorites a
    Wright Stander with a fabed deck that is built like a battleship.

Mantec Engineering and Design Inc.

10. Tider6972

from Alabama

No credible, professional, degreed engineer would make such a broad, generalized statement as you have made here: "Stamped (draw/stretch formed and trimmed) are always thinner llighter " ...further, this statement is factually and provably incorrect as to the 7-Iron deck. To wit: the 7-Iron is , in fact, thicker than the majority of fabricated decks used in major brand ztr, for it is a full 7 gauge steel, whereas many fabricated decks have a 10 gauge top and 7 ga on the deck skirt. The 7-Iron is 5.75 " deep at the rear of the deck, deeper than any other deck in this class!

"I have had stamped decks rust out. Hard to repair because
    of the thinner material is difficult to weld especially after rust."
    ...once again, this statement is factually WRONG, as to the 7-Iron deck, it is thicker than most, with no seams or creases making it more difficult for rust to start. Anyone who has been around metal and machinery knows that rust is very likely to appear first at the edge of a weld!..and while the weld itself is strong, the metal at the edge of welds is the first to let go, especially in an often moist and vibrating mower deck.

But statements like "Fabricated, (cut, bent and welded) .... always thicker and heavier and ... " ...don't sound like any statements I would expect a competent engineer to utter. On the contrary, every engineer with whom I have ever spoken or communicated is FAR more likely to beat you to death with intricate detail than to make such broad generalizations !

"I design stamping dies for my full time job, sometimes for Deer.
    (25 years) So please buy the stamped deck and support my job." ....If, as you say, you actually do make dies, sometimes for "Deer" (sic), perhaps you are involved with their "Edge" series of decks used on homeowner lawn tractors.Quite a different piece than a 7-Iron deck! Or perhaps designing stamping dies requires a different skill set than designing mower decks?