Surflan and Speedzone in one Application?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hughmcjr, Mar 27, 2007.

1. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I have used Pendulum Aqua Cap in beds and walks for a couple of years now. I have switched to Surflan and am seeing better results.

I have read the label on Surflan and it seems to be ok for use on ornamental turf as a preemergence to control broadleaf weeds.

IMO am in Oregon and we have a mixture of grasses being grass seed capital of the world. We have primarily Rye and Bent.

I have used Speedzone as a post emergent herbicide in ornamental turf grasses with good results, but I want to try to prevent weeds from appearing at all or minimizing their appearance and use less Labor and Speedzone.

Getting to the point. I am wondering if anyone has used Surflan at the same time as Speedzone. I know about warm weather issues, but while we have our rainy spring and our temps rarley go above 70 this time of year, I was thinking it wouldn't burn or harm grasses. I do know that Bent seems more susceptible to sensitivity issues of chemical apps.

Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.

2. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Did the label check and Surflan is NOT good for cool season grasses. I guess I will try Pendulum AC mixed with Speedzone. Anyone try this route?
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i cant speak for speedzone, but i have used pendulum 3.3ec mixed with both amine based products and ester based (speedzone) and have had no problems. to check compatability, do a jar test and unless otherwise stated on the label, if the jar test is ok, then your fine with the mix. our grass here is perennial rye/KB/and fescue.