Surge Herbicide damaging tall fescue

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DiscoveryLawn, May 15, 2005.

1. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I just switched to Surge herbicide for broadleaf weed control and am having problems with herbicide damage on Tall Fescue only. The damage is very slight and only affects the top portion of the leaf. Once damaged leaves are mowed off the plant recovers quickly.

I am applying at 1.3 fl. ozs. per 1000 s.f. (this is the low rate) with my Perma Green at .25 gal. per k. The temps are ranging from upper 60's to upper 70's.

The lawns I am spraying Speedzone on the same day as the Surge are not damaged.

I am assuming the problem is due to the low volume at which the PG sprays. If this is true, it is an isolated problem with just the Surge because I have had no damage with others at this rate.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

David

2. I have been using Surge for about two weeks and I have not seen this happen yet. My temps have been a little lower then yours, and we are getting decent amounts of rain.

I also am using a Perma-Green and the 1.3 oz/1k rate.

3. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Checked records...
    lawns with damage were sprayed on 75 to 80 degrees days.

Also should mention. We had a very dry two and half week period. The damaged lawns came at the end of the dry spell. Other lawns that were sprayed with Speedzone in same conditions on same days are just fine.

David