Surprise today!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Jan 15, 2008.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I got an awesome suprise today!

Got a phone call today from a fell and he asked about my lawncare program and said he was interested in my services.

As always, I asked him how he found out about me and what he said surprised me.

He said "You hung a piece on my front door last year".

I did this back in April! It was a crazy surprise!!!!!

So moral of the story is don't get down if you don't get flooded with calls within a week of hanging. They may call later!

This probably won't happen to often, but it sure made my day today!

I just have to get him measured now and hopefully get his business! :cool2:
  2. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Hey Rodney, is your hanger similar to your postcard?
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I actually take heavy card stock and print off a colored piece I made up (actually it looks pretty good for a lawn guy doing it).

I print 3 up and then cut them so I leave a very professional piece.

I put one of these and a pen (with my logo, phone number and website) in a plastic bag hanger and hand on there door.

Havn't gotten great success from them, like the postcard, but you can kinda select your neighborhood to work in.

I would say out of 300 of these, I picked up about 6 or 8 customers! Definitly worth the time, and I feel the branding is BIG!

There should be a lot of poeple out there using my pens. I buy nice ones so they don't throw them away! My customer love my pens and usually ask for more!

I think a good pen says alot about your business!

DON'T EVERY buy cheap pens. It is better to not buy any at all!
  4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Another LCO has told me that sometimes they'll keep your information for 2 years before they call ... just to see whether you stay in business !! Sounds like this may be the case with your customer ... good luck.
  5. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

It always makes your day when somebody calls you from a flyer you did way back. I had one call me that held on to one of my flyers for 5 years, that was crazy. Too bad I had already relocated across town and was no longer working that area.
  6. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

he i did some roadkilling last year (driving around looking for landscapers and fert/ squirt guys) 6 months later 2 came buy and are good cust. now
  7. summitlawncare

summitlawncare LawnSite Member

That is a good idea about the bags and pens. I tell you the thing that has brought me the most success over the last 9 years or so, is after I get a customer and impress the hell out of them, I give them a big stack of flyers to hand out at their work, churches, etc. It has worked well for me. Also, I dont know if you guys are in the christmas light installation business, but one of the best ways to get business for that, is to go to your local hobby lobby or garden ridge, or some similiar store that sells seasonal decor and ask them to put up flyers in their store. If you think about the demographic that normally goes into those places, usually older women, ones who normally dont want to fool with, or physically cant put their own lights up. Just a thought, if your are into that side of the business.
  8. crazy4green

crazy4green LawnSite Member

I always put the usual customer referal coupons/ postcards in every bag i hang with invoice. I love it when neighbors call the next year after seeing you do their neighbors lawn for the season. Those referal postcards probaly accont for 60-70% of my new buisness
  9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Anybody ever put their flyer/postcard in an unmarked manila envelope so the customer would be curious and sure to see it instead of just tossing it into File 13?.... Just a thought.
  10. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Love that Idea, I shall copy/paste into my lawnsite advice document.