1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Surveillance Camera / TV, and Bird Feeders

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mdvaden, Mar 5, 2007.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I just cancelled an ad recently, for a color surveillance camera. I decided to use it to put by our bird feeder after we move.

Anyway, I posted the idea in some "gardening" forums, and some people liked the idea. Apparently, one person knows someone who put a camera by an owl nest to watch the babies grow.

Others thought that nursing home people / adult care might enjoy watching what they can't be outside to see at times.

Anyhow, I just mounted mine on a post to test it out, and it works great. I used a post that was already there - about 3 to 4' from the feeder. I think that 2' away will be perfect, at out next home.

We will have a water feature again, up north.

I'm thinking about arranging the camera and feeder, so that the camera can aim at the feeder, and catch a lot of the water feature in the backdrop.

Anyhow, just thought I"d run this idea by you in case its something you might mention to customers, or want to do.

My camera is a Clover color CCD that I bought for $150 at Fry's Electronics in Wilsonville, Oregon.

I think my unit is near like what I saw at the CLOVER website on the second camera page for $192. Mine needs to be 2' away to be clear for enjoyment. Any further, is not crystal clear.

Certainly there are better cameras. I suppose a sales rep could be consulted to make sure the right camera was purchased.

My camera hooks into the video plug-ins on the front or back of a TV where the DVD player would hook up.
  2. mdvaden

Okay, the tv picture is better than what you see here. Apparently the camera can read the lines being painted on the TV which we can see. There were scrolling black bars on most photos. This was the most clear. So I moved the camera from the post 3' away, by attaching an arm. Now the camera is about 15" from the birds and feeder.

3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good. I've been thinking about doing a bird/squirrel cam myself. If you haven't seen them, Youtube has some good critter videos.
    By the way, what kind of bird is that anyway?
  4. mdvaden

I have no idea - I just like watching them.

There are many different kinds at the feeder and in the yard's tree, and they seem to get along - no fights.

I think this one is a type of woodpecker - this is a regular camera photo taken from inside the house...

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I have more deer at my feeders then birds:angry: Plus the feeders are only 20 feet from my sliding glass door. We do have lots of Cardinals though.