1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Survey on Equipment Trailer

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by IndustrialDesigner714, Sep 2, 2009.

1. golfnpreacher

golfnpreacher LawnSite Member

Do you work in Residential and/or commercial locations? -- Primarily residential, high end townhomes

Is finding parking an issue when arriving on the job site? -- Often it is

What vehicle manufacture do you drive for work? -- Ford F150

Do you own a trailer for work? -- YES, a open landscape trailer

Do you have issues when it comes to storing and accessing equipment? -- Not any more, over time I've refined what I need and where it goes.

What brand of equipment do you own? --- Heinz 57, a little of this and that.

Is the trailer you own a single axle or tandem axle? -- Single 5X10

Do you work on a rainy day? -- light rain and mist, YES -- heavy rains NO

Are there any features you would like to have on a trailer? -- I would like the ability to side load. This would save space when parking because I wouldn't need the 4 ft to let the gate down and 4 ft behind that to get the mower on and off. Also a lightweight "basket", raised about 20" in front. This would allow the mower to go underneath the storage without taking up additional space.

2. Craig3

Craig3 LawnSite Member

1. What is your nationality? Scottish/northern Irish
    2. What is your age? 27
    3. Do you work in Residential and/or commercial locations? both
    4. Is finding parking an issue when arriving on the job site? not yet...but there are places in town that parking and/or turning around pose a problem
    5. What vehicle manufacture do you drive for work? GMC 1500
    6. Do you own a trailer for work? yes
    7. If yes, is it a cargo trailer or a open landscape trailer? open- 12" sides- back and side ramps
    8. Do you have issues when it comes to storing and accessing equipment?no
    9. What brand of equipment do you own? wright, honda, shindaiwa, husq.
    10. What brand of power tools do you use on the job? shindaiwa, honda, husq.
    11. Other than equipment, what other "needs" are used on the job?
    12. Is the trailer you own a single axle or tandem axle? tandem
    13. Do you work on a rainy day? not if I can avoid it, but I'm hoping to double my accounts w/in the next year so it might become necessary
    14. Are there any features you would like to have on a trailer? brakes, 4'+ expanded metal sides, side ramp, back ramp, tool box (tool spare belts/blades/ trimmer string/ grease/ oil/ bottle jack) 3-trimmer rack, backpack blower rack, spare tire, expanded metal locking "box" for gas cans, winch
    15. Do you have any issues on owning a trailer? storing it at home in a residential neighborhood can become an issue if the city code guy want to be butts
    Any comments:

3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

1. What is your nationality? (optional)
    2. What is your age? (optional)
    3. Do you work in Residential and/or commercial locations? Both
    4. Is finding parking an issue when arriving on the job site? Sometimes
    5. What vehicle manufacture do you drive for work? Ford
    6. Do you own a trailer for work? Yeah
    7. If yes, is it a cargo trailer or a open landscape trailer? Open Landscape
    8. Do you have issues when it comes to storing and accessing equipment? Sometimes
    9. What brand of equipment do you own? Gravely, Stihl, and soon to be Walker
    10. What brand of power tools do you use on the job?Above
    11. Other than equipment, what other "needs" are used on the job? (Example: water container)Basics, trimmer, blower, tools, water, string racks and a cage
    12. Is the trailer you own a single axle or tandem axle? single
    13. Do you work on a rainy day?sometimes if needed
    14. Are there any features you would like to have on a trailer? gate assist, back up camera lol
    15. Do you have any issues on owning a trailer? none

4. IndustrialDesigner714

IndustrialDesigner714 LawnSite Member

I been working and landscaping for 4 to 6 years. 2 of working summer breaks and 4 working on weekends and holidays break.

By replying with positive feedback, this would help on my design process. 1st is the market research and 2nd comes the competition of products out on the market.

5. borwicks

borwicks LawnSite Senior Member

1. What is your nationality? american,white
    2. What is your age? 36
    3. Do you work in Residential and/or commercial locations? both
    4. Is finding parking an issue when arriving on the job site? no
    5. What vehicle manufacture do you drive for work? dodge,toyota,chevy
    6. Do you own a trailer for work?yes
    7. If yes, is it a cargo trailer or a open landscape trailer?open
    12',18',16',20'.enclosed 20',dump 16'
    8. Do you have issues when it comes to storing and accessing equipment?sometimes
    9. What brand of equipment do you own?scag,toro,bluebird,cub
    cadet,honda,john deere, grasshopper,lesco,redmax,green machine,new
    holland,cushman
    10. What brand of power tools do you use on the job?
    11. Other than equipment, what other "needs" are used on the job? (Example: water container)
    12. Is the trailer you own a single axle or tandem axle?both
    13. Do you work on a rainy day?depends, sometimes
    14. Are there any features you would like to have on a trailer?a grass bin
    15. Do you have any issues on owning a trailer?no
    Any comments:

6. IndustrialArtist

IndustrialArtist LawnSite Member

This is me, sorry i wasn't able to reply back in 2009. Had complication with accessing my account.

This a graduation survey i had to do for a design project i am working on for school. Now i am a landscaper and i am also a student majoring in Industrial Designs(products, electronics,transportation). My concept taken two years to design and like all design process i finally have a direction. Now its only four years a head from now. But the technology and innovation of the trailer design is what makes this project different from what ever its out there now. i will soon post a web-link to my portfolio and give you guys a glimpse of the future.

7. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

Alright! Can't wait to see it!

8. SkyhawkSteve

SkyhawkSteve LawnSite Member

1. What is your nationality? American
    2. What is your age? 50
    3. Do you work in Residential and/or commercial locations? Both
    4. Is finding parking an issue when arriving on the job site?
    5. What vehicle manufacture do you drive for work? 2009 Ford F250
    6. Do you own a trailer for work? Tes
    7. If yes, is it a cargo trailer or a open landscape trailer? Open landscape
    8. Do you have issues when it comes to storing and accessing equipment? Yes
    9. What brand of equipment do you own? Snapper, Simplicity Mowers
    10. What brand of power tools do you use on the job? Stihl & Echo
    11. Other than equipment, what other "needs" are used on the job? Water Container, Hand tools for repairs; String for Trimmer; Fuel storage ( Gasoline & Gas / Oil Mix)
    12. Is the trailer you own a single axle or tandem axle? Single looking for Tandem
    13. Do you work on a rainy day? Yes
    14. Are there any features you would like to have on a trailer?
    15. Do you have any issues on owning a trailer? No

Steve Pratt
    Skyhawk Property Maintenance
    Eaton, Ohio

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Here's the problem with your survey. I can tell right now that you are thinking a simple, urban landscape trailer, mainly for mowing.

Here's what I want.

A low boy dump trailer with an airbag lift system to raise the dump height when unloading.

Also needs pull-out ramps for loading equipment and such. Also having D-rings in the bed to tie down equipment.

Dual cylinder lift, or telescoping hoist.

And an interchangable equipment rack system to store extra attachments for loaded equipment.

A small cargo case (similar to what you see between cab bodies and dump beds on trucks) in front of the dump bed.

10. vanncann

vanncann LawnSite Senior Member

1. White American
    2. 38
    3. Residential and Comm.
    4. No.
    5. 07 F250 right now and in 2 years it will be a Dodge 2500
    6. Yes
    7. 16' open and enclosed, 12, open, 18, car hauler
    8. No
    9. & 10. Exmark mowers and Tanaka 2 cycle
    11. I have everything extra on both trailers such as blades, spark plugs, filters just for backup
    12. Tandem axles with breaks on both axles
    13. No!
    14. Usually if I see something I like on a trailer I'll go get it for mine. Can't put much more on thou...
    15. None besides owning to many