Survival mode, working as little as possible

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Triple R, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

I am in survival mode until it cools down which probably won't be until sometime in September. Since I am solo, by choice, I am working as little as possible due to the extreme heat and some of the worst air quality in the country. Last Wednesday I felt like I wasn't going to make it through my route. My heart was racing, difficulty breathing, felt like I was going to collapse before I could get home. Today I heard on the radio that a gardener 70 miles south didn't make it home and died at one of his accounts probably from heat stroke. This is the hottest summer I have ever experienced and I have been living in the valley for over 20 years. Until it cools down I will keep turning down most work and the work I take will be at a premium price. Currently I am committed to working 3 days a week and the rest is optional, which I am opting to not work most of the time.

I don't know how much heat the rest of you can take but as I type this it is 6:50 pm 87* and 68% humidity in my home office and over 100* outside in the shade. The worst part is that it is not cooling down much over night, tomorrow when I start working at 5:00 am I will be drenched in sweat by 7:00 am.

I can take heat but this is ridiculous. How are the rest of you doing?

From hell on earth, Triple R

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Wow, sorry to hear that. I was gonna say try to start work earlier when it's cooler out, but then I got to the last few sentences of your post, and I see you are starting early. It's a shame the way the weather can play havoc with our businesses. No rain, and things don't grow. Extremely hot, and it makes the working unbearable.
    As for us, it's cooled down some this week, not as much humidity and in the 80's.
    Just wondering, is it always that hot there every year at this time, or is this an exceptionally bad year for you?

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's not bad here now, 90's for the rest of the week.

Last week we had that 104+ HI stuff thou... (HI = Heat Index.)

It blew, I'd get to my first lawn by 3p and I made sure the first TWO lawns were shaded lots LOL. By then it was 5p and somewhat bearable, I'd get one or two more done and home by 7.

Drank 16 ounces of COLD water before every yard.

I hear you thou, I don't work when the thermos hits 100 or the HI hits 108, I just refuse, it's not worth it. I took Wednesday off for that reason, at least 98 outside in the shade, the HI was 108 some...

That's when it's so hot, the second you step outside it literally feels like it's going to smack you so hard that you land on your tail.

4. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

It is ususally about the same here in Dallas every July and August.

Maybe, you could stretch out your 3 day week to 5 days and work less hours each day. Maybe be done for day by noon when it is only 105 or so heat index.

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

What you should try and do is dunk your hat in every pool you see. When its gets hot thats what I'll do.

6. I had to take my son home sick with heat today. And it was only about the same temps as you have inside your office! He has had no heat tolerance since the Army. He suffered heat stroke & heat exhaustion from wearing chemical mop suits. But you know the Army, soon as he got out of the hospital, they put him right back into the mop suit.
    We were spreading mulch, but only 5 yards. We were right across from McDonalds. He took several breaks there to cool down but it didn't help enough. If we have any physical labor to do we have to be done with it by 10:00 am or he's in trouble. He couldn't even live where you are in CA. He's talked about imigrating to Canada.

7. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

Every summer it feels like your stepping into an oven when you go outside, but this year is worse than usual. 100* days aren't unusual but you can feel the difference when it goes to 108*, Fresno today or yesterday was at 111* in the shade but I work mostly in the sun.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

drink gatorade and wet your shirt down every1/2 hour

9. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Sounds like Okie weather. We has temps hit 105 and 106 with the Heat index at 110.... I can still work but I move REAL SLLLLOOOOOWWWW... Today was 91 with a little cloud cover and a little breeze...felt great!

10. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i like to hose myself down when i mow a huge property that i do year round maintinence for, helps keep me cool, especialy when doing the open field. i have thought about jumping in the pond, but the hose is cleaner. but that's an easy place to do, it's all done sitting down with only 50 mins of trimming. the one that kills me is the one with a hill almost like a wall, you can't walk up it. But as others have said, drink water and lots of it, do you have a ZTR? if you do then i think there is a big fan for the top of the ROPS, i have a sunshade on my mower. Stay cool guys.