Surviving one step at a Time

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RRH, Jul 28, 2005.

1. RRH

RRH LawnSite Member

There is a lot of knowledge on this board.Just looking for some input from the guys here that have survived the start up phase on there businesses and when they took next step in not trying to control everything and releasing responsibilities to employees.I seem to be running in a never ending circle.While trying to make tie-ins,running pipe puller ,plumbing and hooking up manifolds adjusting heads, and etc,I know calls are being missed for estimates.I guess the question is when do you move out of the field and take more time to sell jobs to the public.Seem to be burned out more this year then in the past.Hope everyone are meeting their goals and having banner year.
    Thanks for any information presented.
  2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

you do this when you can find sober , intelligent , and dependable employees . And you have the capitol to meet payroll , and the trucks and tools and equipment .
  3. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

i'm sure listening too.
    one thing i've noticed is that i can do stuff faster then any employee. However, if i keep doing it, they won't learn.
  4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

It was Jon who made that off the wall comment that I needed a "helper". I got one. He's going to inherit the keys and the headaches, but I can trust him (except for the part about him not getting smart and tellin' the old man what to do with those keys in ten years). Worst problem any outfit with size has is employees. If you can get a good one and keep them, you have achieved a major step in survival at the next level.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Not to brag or anything, but I've got three ;)
  6. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

i had three on wednesday.
    on thursday one got in a fender bender, received an inattentive driving ticket, and was hauled off in funny bracelets. :cry:

today i had 2.