suspected drug use

Discussion in 'Employment' started by sven1277, Jul 28, 2014.

1. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Obviously if the law is protecting his rights I believe testing is in order. If not and testing could hurt his business even more, sack him for the other reasons already posted.
    easy-lift guy

2. spartan1977

spartan1977 LawnSite Member

Find a medical center in your area that does Random drug testing. Sign your company up for program. It doesn't cost anything to sign up. Tell them at the medical center you want the employee in question randomly drug tested. They will schedule a date and fax you the request. Try to have them schedule it for 800am. They will fax you the request, give it to employee right before appt. if he's using he may refuse to go. Grounds to be fired. Goes and fails. Grounds to be fired. If he passes then you'll know one of other employee's was wrong is assessment. Drug test will cost you $65-$85

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

All well and good, assuming you have random drug testing as a policy in your handbook.

And telling that specific employee to go get tested is not random.

Bad suggestion that has the possibility of causing big problems.

4. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

fire him for being late
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

isn't America crazy. man can lose his business because a drug using employee... uses drugs.

6. MiscCleanUpCrew

MiscCleanUpCrew LawnSite Member

Find out if your state is an at will state, if so you can fire for no reason at all. You need to make sure that you do not give a reason!

If your state drugs/being tardy you're setting yourself up for a lawsuit. Make sure when you let him go that you just don't think he is the right guy for the job.

I may be new to the lawn care business but I know labour laws.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Is CT a right-to-work state? GA is, and I can fire someone with no warning, and for no reason at all.

8. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

If you pay him cash like most landscapers do.....just can him.

9. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Fire him for being late. Don't agonize over the decision, just do it
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

I agree about firing him. Drugs or not, being late on someone else's clock is a big no-no. But then again, you have to think about your safety and your equipment when you go to firing an someone with an opiate addiction. They will literally rob you blind, your blowers, trimmers, everything on the trailer when fired. Someone addicted to heroin is VERY, VERY dangerous. When I was in high school, I had an "ex-friend" that was caught up with the heroin stuff and selling it. I left his house one night with my last words telling him he needed to leave that stuff alone and be better then that. (I knew his family growing up and they didn't raise him like that.) Needless to say, he was found dead the next morning after I left his house. One of his heroin addicts came in and robbed him blind, shot him three times, and he will never see life again. If you have someone caught up with heroin, do some reading on their behaviors and before you go to making any decisions, even firing him, do some home-work it can be more serious of an issue then you think.