Suspension Lift and Plows?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by npalomba, Feb 18, 2001.

1. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

I am going to take this question to my dealer also but I was wondering if anyone here knew if a 2.5 inch lift would affect the plow or plowing in general?

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Alot depends on the plow you end up choosing, but the a frame needs to be level to the ground when plowing. They have some play but not to much. When you get out of level it puts extra stress on the push points and trip mech.
    Most mounting kits have adjustment holes, so that you plow level.
    Dino

3. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Well the only thing that i think that it will do is change the blad scrape angle and mayby put more strain on the fram if you hit something.I not sure but that's almost 3" .I was always told to keep the blade angle low.Some of the other guys might know better than me. This is only speculation and i would check with the dealer to be safe.

4. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

Dino, I am 90% sure I am going with the Boss V 8'2" plow; I am going to chat with my local dealer and Boss directly but I just didn't know if anyone had experience with this type of configuration.

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know from experience, but I have heard it is alot easier to do frame damage when the truck is lifted. It lowers the "push point" of the plow, which will in turn try to twist the front portion of the frame downwards. If you do lift it, I would suggest going to a shop and getting some reinforcing done on the frame, just to be on the safe side.

-Tim

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

A few questions....

What make and model truck do you want to lift?
    Why do you want to lift it?
    What brand of lift?

~Chuck

7. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

01 Dodge Ram Diesel QC; Skyjack lift 2.5inches; why? I want to beef up the suspen. for plowing; I am making sure that I reinforce everything; we have two plow trucks and this is my personal truck and I know it will be used for plowing next year since we have gotten more business.

8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

I put a 1.5" (it was listed as 1.5 - 2") lift on my brother's 95 Ram 1500. It ended up being about an inch when it was done. It sits as high as a stock 2500 now. The kit came with 2 new front coil springs, and add-a-leaf for the rear.
    With the diesel motor, I'd assume the truck has heavier front springs already. Make sure they know you are buying the kit for a diesel.

I asked why, because it was possible you wanted to fit larger tires. Possible you wanted the lift so the truck looks better.

You might be better off with load boosters, and your factory springs.

~Chuck

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

The lfit wont stregthen the truck for plowing, in fact it may hurt it. The higher center of gravity will make the truck more unstable, and move all the steering geomety, wearing the componet quicker. Load boosters or air bags will do more to help then a lift kit. the coils in lift kits are uaually bigger but not stronger. Worst acse put the sprimgs froma dually on it, but check first they maybe the same springs.
    Dino

10. HC

HC LawnSite Member

I would not go with a lift kit however that is your preference. I just took one out of a Ford F250. What a headache. If you do go with the Boss V their mount has a wide range of adjustment holes that should cover most vehicle heights (within reason of course).