suspension lift

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by timmac, Jul 23, 2008.

1. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

thinking about putting a 6 inch fabtech suspension on my 05 dodge ram 4x4. any pro/cons to this? would you go with a susp. lift or a body lift? thanks

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

suspension only! not a fan of body lifts. fabtech is one of the best around. IMO

3. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

well you going to be using this as a work truck also?

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

If I was going for 5 inches of lift I'd split it between body and suspension. A 5inch suspension lift is potentially going to eat u-joints (especially in the front driveshaft of an '02-'08 dodge because it spins even in 2wd).

5. timmac

6 inch suspension lift is 2200, 3 inch body lift is 850. you got to be nuts to go with both a sus. and body.

6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Screw the body lift, I cant stand seeing trucks with them and seeing the gaps they make everywhere. Granted some people get new bumper brackets or whatever but I'd just skip the body lift. Not positive but is your trucks IFS? Do you have good support around you to where your sure you can get the truck aligned and what not?

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

My buddy just sold his 03' Dodge 1500. It was lifted on 37's. That truck sat broke almost every other month out of the year. I would not lift an ifs 4x4 ever, unless you only drive on the street. Or if plan on replacing a bunch of drive train components.

8. mag360

A 2-3inch suspension lift is $300-$1000 and won't wear driveline components as fast. You save money coming and going and wind up with the same tire clearance and body height. It all depends on what you want to do with the truck but I'm no stranger to lifted Dodges. (are you in a 1500 or 2500).

9. timmac

1500 and I am mainly on the street. i dont plan to do any offroading. going mainly for the look. The prices I included earlier are for installation too. I want more than 3 inches. Is a 6 inch sus. lift too much? That is the one I am leaning toward. The place I'm getting it done is owned by a man that has been doing lifts for 40 years. He is supposed to be the best front end guy around. HIghly recommended by lots of guys around here. thanks

10. mag360

$2200 including install is a pretty good price for a 6inch lift.

You may want to ask his opinion on going with 2.5-3inch suspension lift (this will save a ton of parts and $$$ on the torsion bar (chevy) front end) plus a 3inch body lift (done properly with bumper relocation brackets and gap guards) for a combined lift of 5.5-6inches. The only 1/2 ton dodge I own is an '08 and the front suspension is different than yours (no torsion bars), I've never owned one of the '02-'05 1500's but my understanding is that you can get a couple inches up front for free via the bars.

Good luck---it will look great either way I'm sure. What size rim and tire combo do you have planned?