1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Suspension on ZTR's????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by haasrd, Jul 12, 2003.

1. haasrd

haasrd LawnSite Member

I'm looking at buying my 1st ZTR. I'll be mowing about 1-3 acre lawns, some quite bumpy. Why wouldn't a suspension be a good idea.....and the Ferris looks like a good choice so far??? The Grasshopper is also catching my attention.....
  2. marvinlee

marvinlee LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

ZTR suspension is a good idea. Like many good ideas the quality and cost of implementation is important. Also important is the degree of need. On our rough land I would appreciate an excellent four wheel suspension system. However, other considerations led me to a ZTR without a spring supported suspension system other than in the seat assembly. As it happens, the Ferris is a well-regarded brand that offers an excellent mower in addition to having suspension.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Think springs!!!!!

The suspension is one thing I sure wish my Z had. Yes it sure would smooth out the bumps, but I think you and many others are missing the big picture when you think of the Ferris suspension.

The major benefits everyone seems to be overlooking are gound hugging traction and a Z mower that really does contour cut to a very large extent.

I find that nearly all of my problem areas where I loose traction could be resolved with the IS system. The uneven areas shift the weight off the drive tires, resulting in problems.

Also, as I mentioned, remember that the deck is attached to the suspension too!!! That means the deck pivots with the tires. The end result is a deck that does a lot better job of following ground contours, which in turn produces an even contour cut on rolling terain that no rigid frame Z can match.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Then you have the increased weight, significantly more pivot points, and simply more parts to get in the way or break.

There are LOTS of mowers that I would choose for different particular lawns. Big ones, small ones, long ones, short ones. But when it comes down to a Great all around mower for ALL of my properties, I really feel that I hit the mark by choosing the Lazer.
  5. haasrd

haasrd LawnSite Member

I've read lots of good comments about the Exmark. Why??? Does it have a spring seat that would cushion the rough ground that I'd be mowing? It just seems that all the "conventional" Z's would ride so much rougher than a Z w/ a suspension system like the Ferris. What's your opinion?
  6. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Did you ever ride a hard tail motorcycle.Did it ride as good as one with rear suspension. Sure there are more parts. Your truck has more parts too . Doesn't mean it doesn't work well or is undependable. My next Z WILL have suspension.
  7. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a Ferris ZTR and it was great. The suspension is awesome. Yes it weighs little more but not much more. Also the steel quality is best of all brands. I personally use Scag, but Ferris is my next pick as best mower. But if you love it get it and don't listen to anyone else and most important find a good dealer.
  8. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

They have a new suspension addition that goes underneath the regular seat. I've had it for two weeks now and love it.
    Besides that, the mower cuts great. :cool:
  9. I did a demo with a IS-3000 today. On slightly bumpy turf, the suspension did make a difference. I could mow faster without too much impact on my back and the cut quality was adequate. So it beat the Super Z and the Lazer in production in that situation.

However, on moderate to very bumpy turf, the suspension made little if any difference on mowing speed. It would be better if the seat upgrade was a suspension type as well. My impression of the mower was that itÂ’s well built and worth the price.
  10. keith455

keith455 LawnSite Member

I just want some suspension on mine so the motor will stay running. I hit so many bumps that it stutters sometimes.