Suspension Seat for 2002 Hustler Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by jdhardin, May 26, 2004.

1. jdhardin

jdhardin LawnSite Member

My back is begging for something other than the standard seat on my Z. I believe my two options are the $50 spring kit, which my dealer tells me doesn't help much, or a suspension seat from Excel. What would the suspension seat cost?

Are there any aftermarket seats available?

Jay

2. OSDOTF

OSDOTF LawnSite Member

I just priced Hustler's suspension seat today, but my memory doesn't seem to be holding up this evening. I think it runs around $480. I was told all suspension seats shipped now will be the new gray Michigan unit with adjustable lumbar and tilt.

I've got a catalog at our dealership with replacement seats. I ordered a low-profile adjustable suspension for my own 2003 Mini out of it but have yet to install it. I think it adds less than three inches to the standard seat's height and gives one inch of travel. I'll get you a price.

Not sure I'd be too quick to take your dealer's word on the spring kit. It might not be his idea of rock and roll, but our FasTrak customers who've installed them say they offer a real improvement.

3. OSDOTF

OSDOTF LawnSite Member

List price for Hustler's suspension seat is $476.50.

The after-market suspension unit I mentioned is the "Ultra-Low Mechanical" from K&M. It is 2 3/4" inches high, has 1" of travel and is adjustable for weight via a front-mounted rotating knob. It lists for $145 (freight not included). Some drilling is required. I don't know why one of these couldn't be used on a FasTrak, also. It does require slide rails--either the existing ones from your "Z" or "Mini" or, in the case of the FasTrak, their optional rails. That would solve another FasTrak seating problem -- quick fore/aft adjustment!

4. jdhardin

jdhardin LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. I knew the suspension seat was a bit pricey. Based on what I've read hear, I might take another look at the spring kit.

Jay