Suspension seat

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Grassbuster, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Grassbuster

Grassbuster LawnSite Member

My suspension seat arm rests are cracked and 3/4 to 1" of both tips have broken off. The mower is only 2 1/2 months old. Should this be covered under warranty?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It depends on what caused this to happen.
    It really comes down to the dealer, have you talked to them about it yet?

Pj

3. Grassbuster

Yes - they said wear and tear....... 2 1/2 MONTHS, 135 hrs?? My old Exmark suspension seat lasted 5 years before it started to crack let alone fall apart. Thanks for the reply though.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

99% of the time these seats come from the same company, so I don't know how one could last longer than the other without having wear and tear.

5. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Damage like you describe on armrests after 2 1/2 months and 135 hrs of use cannot be classified as wear and tear (which is the definition the normal wear and tear occurring during the life of a product).
    It is either damage from abuse (warranty does not applies) or hidden defect in the product (warranty applies).
    It is the burden of the manufacturer to prove the the product was abused and that there is no defect in material or manufacture.
    Considering the fact that your previous mower seat lasted a very long time under your use before showing any sign of wear and tear, I would say that your seat have some hidden defect its the manufacturing.
    It can be from bad chemical mix, cure time, cure temperature, etc, etc...
    If your dealer denies your warranty claim and you know (no point lying to yourself) the seat has not been abused, you can write Hustler to ask them to exchange the seat under warranty. They probably will and if it is, all is well. If it is not, you may want to consider another manufacturer for your next purchase.
    The thing is that most manufacturers use the same brand of seat on their mowers and have no control on their manufacturing process. On the other hand, they are responsible for the warranty they offer to their customers and the way the warranty is applied.

6. Grassbuster

I agree thats true with mostly everything but how can my tips break off before the mower is even broken in? What is normal wear and tear on a mower that has 135 hrs? I'm not using the armrests as a diving board!! Truely I could see after a year of use and being in the sun and exposed to the elements all day & night, but this mower is garaged when not in its limited use.. normal wear & tear??? Questionable if you ask me.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have a regional manager that lives relatively close to you, can you email me your information please?
    I can have this looked into further.

Pj

8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Speaking of seats, my seats lost its resistance for want of a better word! My spine keeps bottoming out over rough ground. Its the Michigan fully adjustable type seat. Ive noticed the (wire) lines inside the seat have snapped and I wonder if thats got something to do with it?
    Anyway, are these seats repairable or would I have to get a new one?

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The cable you see is the cable that hooks up to the spring to control the suspension in the seat.
    From what I see, we don't offer that part ourselves, sorry.
    You can view the company site here > http://www.mi-seat.com/turf/5300.html
    E-mail them, they will be able to help you find that cable.

Pj

10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks mate. Ive sent off an email and will let you know how I get on!
    Cheers