Suspension Seats on Exmark and Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLH, Sep 15, 2004.

1. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

I demoed a Ferris 3000 IS 60" 27 Kohler ten days ago and the ride was much smoother than others I have tried.

Yesterday I demoed an Exmark Lazer AS 60" 23 Kohler, I was cuttng the exact same 3 acres as I previously cut with the Ferris. The quality of the cut was superb but the ride was atrocious or may I say extremely brutal.

If I drove slow to moderate it was bearable, but as I advanced the forward speed, the bouncing and jarring was more than I would be willing to subject myself to continously, especially at the tune of $8000.

My father has a 2 year old Scag Turf Tiger with 1400 hrs. He purchased it new and has only used it on his personal property. I also have cut the same 3 acres with it several times and the ride was also very ruff.

My question is :

1. On the Exmark how much difference would the CustomRide Seat Suspension System make which can be adding beneath the original seat? Exmark also has the LS Full Suspension Seat which comes standard on the Lazer Z XP. Which of these seats would give the best ride? Would the difference be as obvious as the Independent Suspension on the Ferris?

2. My local Scag dealer ordered a Suspension seat to put on a new Turf Tiger 61" 29 Hp Kawasaki Liquid Cooled Fuel Injected. I will demo this mower as soon as the grass is ready to cut again. Does anyone use a Scag with this seat, if so how much difference does it make in the comfort of the ride? If I purchase the Scag, I would be getting the 27 Kohler air-cooled.

Does the Exmark produce a better cut than the Ferris or Scag? When I demoed it yesterday the cut seemed somewhat different, maybe smoother I am not sure what the difference was but something was different. The clipping were maybe finer and the discharge was more spread out. I wish I could demo all 3 at same time, to get a more equal comparsion.

My main question here is addressing the seat issue and the ride. Any replys from experienced operators who can address my questions would be received thankfully.

JLH

Any replys from your experience would be appreciated.

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The CustomRide Seat Suspension System that I added helped alot but it is not perfect. I could not handle the ride without it. I also lowered the air pressure in the tires to 10 psi and that seemed to help . Still a smooth cut even with the lower air pressure.

3. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

tacoma200,

Have you used a Ferris IS for a ride comparison to the Exmark CustomRide Seat Suspension System? Which Exmark do you have?

JLH

4. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I just did a demo a while back for TURF on that machine you tried JLH. I too noticed the ride. I have a 52" Lazer and i put the seat kit on there. It made a world of difference. During the demo my guys argued with me and begged me not to make them ride the bumpy 60. I have never tried a ferris so i can not compare for you. Sorry.

5. cgotro

cgotro LawnSite Member

We use the Hustler Super Z with the suspension seat. It has back angle adjustment, Lumbar adjustment and weight adjustment. It is comfortable, you can fit it to your back. You can change the settings if the land gets different. If you cut half the day on your mower you need to be comfortable. Better on the old back too! 27 kohler 60 " deck. 15 MPH.

6. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the CustomRide seat suspension on my Lazer and it has made a big difference. My back no longer hurts like it used to.
    I have never used the suspension seat so I cannot compare it to the CustomRide.

7. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

I have two scag ztr a 48 and 52 decks. Both have air suspension seats, and they work great. Under the seat the frame has a air bag and air switch. Also their is a small air compressor,pressure switch and relay that I have mounted in a aluminum box mounted behind the seat.

Firefighter

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

JLH, sorry but I have not driven the Ferris IS. My mower is an Exmark Lazer Z as with 60" deck and 23 hp motor. It is just like the regular Z without some of the frills and extra's. Like I said it made a big difference but Those small front caster tires are too small to give a really good ride on a rough lawn. Hope this helps.

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a suspension seat on my Hustler 60" Super Z and it helps at 4-5 miles per hr...Any faster than that the mower want's to hippty- hop like rideing a horse and the seat suspension is eleminated.It flat out beats the crap out of me.

Gene

10. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Could anyone reccomend a good source to purchase a suspension seat for my Scag tiger cub.