Suspension

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mikesjumpingin, May 3, 2003.

1. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

I am pleasantly surprised at how handy my 94 Grand Cherokee hatchback has been, but I still want a pick up "down the road".

Anyways, I have 130,000 miles and my suspension seems wimpy.

(1) are off road shocks a bad idea for hauling?

(2) any suggestions about tires?

I just want a sturdy, sporty, reliable vehicle and mine seems a little too tired, broken-in, and domesticated. (That was my own description until started doing spring clean-ups.)

Thanks,

Mike :blob3:

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

How about Timbrens all around ???

3. mikesjumpingin

Thanks for Timbren info; I went to their website.

This is what I think I'm looking for. In addition, I was wondering if replacing shocks is difficult to do by myself for my Jeep, or if I should go to a mechanic.

I replaced the front struts in my Oldsmobile once. Once.

Any info on doing off road shocks, such as other things I may have to do along with installing them, would be helpful, thanks.

Mike

4. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

The shocks you chose will only effect the ride a little, all of the carrying capacity of the suspension is in the springs.

Don't try to get it as firm as a pick up because when you drive it un loaded, you will have to put a block of rubber between your teeth to stop them from hitting.

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

Shock replacement should be pretty straight forward... Probably rusty and will give you a fight, but can be done... Just soak em good with wd 40 or something the night before you do it... Should be a nut and bolt on the bottom of the rears and fronts, the front uppers may be a stud, and the rear uppers are probably just a nut that has to be removed...... some wrenches and a vice grip will do it....... Get something like the skyjackers or ranchos, etc... not the gas charged, the nitros should be just fine for all around use.. I run the skyjacker nitros on my trucks and have good results.......... but they are also trucks.....

6. mikesjumpingin

My truck seems to ride a little low, most likely needs shocks replaced, I'm wondering if new or different variety shocks offer any additional lifting?

When I have fertilizer bags in truck, the trailer tends to droop down and bottom out at the end of my driveway.

I'd like to try shock replacement myself, but if I run into problems, I can't afford to be off my lawn cutting jobs for two or more days.

I will search the nitro shocks on-line.

Mike

7. SCAPEASAURUSREX

Shocks will NOT do anything for ride height, they only control the springs rate and dampen the bumps ..... You may want to consider going to a spring shop and having them look at the springs they may need to rearch them or replace them all together... Or you may look into a small suspension lift kit, cause you can get a new set of springs out of it along with new shocks in a nice package deal.. Check places like 4 wheel parts wholesalers...