Suspicious work comp claims?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gene $immons, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you have had an employee file a work comp claim which was "suspect" at best.

Not a real injury, ie..hand cut off. But rather something stupid, that you thought was just an attempt by some scumbag to get money.

What happened with the case?

Thanks

2. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

What money is there to really gain?
    Just let them go do the doctors and see whats going on.

I had a boss like you when I worked for Home depot and they refused to let me go to the docs for 4 months. I now have an in operable tendon tear for life. I received 4k as a penalty to Home depot...you don't get rich from wc.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

That's not always the case though. My father-in-law had two wc claims w/in 2 months of each other because of employees negligence while working. I think one of the cases went out at 15K & the other one somewhere in the neighborhood of 8K. If they get an attorney, somebody's going to be making money.

4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

And usually that somebody going to be making the money is the scum bag attorney.

5. Gene $immons

you could have gone to the doctor on your own, like a big boy.

6. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

Actually you cannot. Once you tell the doctors office that you got hurt at work, and that you work has not filled out the WC paperwork yet....they won't see you. I went to 3 doctors like a big boy thank you very much.

As for money...you should be really hurt to get money. I am able to lead a pretty productive life, so I didn't get much. What I did get is a leason. don't tell doctors you got hurt at work unless there is blood coming out.

7. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Seriously, what money are you expecting them to get out of a comp claim? When I was driving I had a broken ankle, broken foot and a hernia (three separate claims- I've never had a day THAT bad), and the only people who got any money were the doctors. I'm a little confused here- if you have a specific situation, just spell it out.

8. Gene $immons

Without going into detail. I had a guy go to the emergency room, over a twisted ankle.

I filled out no paperwork prior to this.

He hired a lawyer.

This is what is wrong with America.

How much money is he really expecting to get?

Oh, and he made sure he fell down in front of everyone.

I'm not trying to sound like a hard ass. If someone gets hurt, I'll take care of them. But this guy worked for me for 4 days, he was asking the other employees all kinds of questions about my company, and he has a background history of trying to obtain money out of other people by various means. Also, his wife is on disability.

Dude is a scammer.

9. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I don't get it. Are you saying WC can get the employer sued even if there are no labor laws broken?

Around here you get 70% (something like that) of your salary which is basically your take home pay, till you are better. But they push you back to work, doctor update after doctor update.

WC is an insurance policy here and I've never heard of people getting lump sums from either employer or wc. If you go on long term disability, you got cameras watching you.. so don't lift them groceries.

10. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

If you're being sued, get WC involved. WC investigators and attorneys play hard ball.

I experienced an employee trying to milk WC for disability on a twisted back. They had this guy on video tape moving appliances, changing a tire, hooking up his boat..... even water skiing an hour and a half out of town.