SUSTANE by Lesco

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnboy246, Sep 27, 2007.

1. lawnboy246

lawnboy246 LawnSite Member
    from 22033

Have seen various posting regarding SUSTANE by Lesco and am interested in knowing exactly which of the various SUSTANE products do most people use. In addition, what type of lawn care program do you use with it?

2. lawnboy246

from 22033

Suggestions?

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i have used and have some cust use the bolster g product.
    it has gone thru dome changes when it first came out it had
    BOLSTER GRANULAR™
    ALSO CONTAINS NON PLANT FOOD INGREDIENT AUXILIARY
    SOIL AND PLANT SUBSTANCES:
    BOLSTER Plant Biostimulant
    Ascophyllum nodosum seaweed, humic acid,
    and soluble carbohydrates
    VAM mycorrhiza
    Vesicular Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi:
    Glomus intraradices
    Guaranteed minimum 1.7 propagules per cu. cm.
    ATI AquaZorb™
    All organic starch-based biodegradable super-absorbent polymer.
    Holds 400x its weight in water. Reduces water usage. Improves
    plant survival rate. Reduces leaching. Completely biodegradable

i think they have taken out the aqua zorb and have made it an elite product
    main uses @ tees and greens in golf as a product after coring and draging into holes, very good to apply before sodding as the mycorrhiza needs to be in the soil

4. lawnboy246

from 22033

How about the 5-2-4 SUSTANE MED 2FE?

5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

bug guy great post does that product work. I want to ad micrhizzal? to my lawn area 75k what do you recommened does the micro? really work and how long to see the effects how many apps. also how about when planting trees and shrubs, and other plants

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I find the 5-2-4 with iron and the 4-6-4 with iron pretty much useless and impractical for turf unless you're treating 'postage stamps'. Nobody around here, at least, really wants to pay the inflated price of organics for turf care when it reallly comes down to it. (It's like the 'vegetarian' who likes to 'talk up' their lifestyle all the time, but then can maybe be caught buying the forbidden Big Mac at the drive thru!) I sell and use those two products in the landscape exclusively. And I'm pretty certain that they were made FOR the landscape originally, then 'converted' to turf when a new market was 'sensed' by a marketer. I'd recommend for you a 'bridge' product, or a 'marriage' between an organic and SCU fertilizer. I (think) SustanE has something in a 'bridge' like a 10-2-4 (?) analysis with iron that would make more sense for you. At least you'll get DOUBLE the coverage of 'N' per bag! (At 1# N / 1000, 10-2-4 gives you 5000---and 5-2-4 only gets you 2500)
    Make sense?

7. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i talked to some experts and mycorrhiza will last as long as there are roots. from what i have read and seen mycorrhiza acts like steriods for the root system which in turn helps the whole plant. it is costly over a large area i have seen people use it on small jobs like repairs and ornamentals.any time you introduce mycorrhiza to the soil is good. but from what i have been told the bolster g needs to be incorp. with the soil. i will look at other products to see if you can get it other forms. i h\know there is a bolster lig but need to look at the label

8. lawnboy246

from 22033

Are you referring to the 10-2-10 SUSTANE + NUTRALENE 2FE? Seems to be in the Lesco Elite series. Is this intended for fall use or would you use something like this in the Spring/summer and so with one of their synthetic versions like 24-5-11 for the Fall?

9. lescojdl

lescojdl LawnSite Member

They also make a sustane with 18% nitrogen. The extra nitrogen comes from methylene urea which is branded as nutralene. Lesco also sells a 15-3-7 that is 30% Poly-sulfur coated urea and half organic (turkey poo). The 4-4-4 sustane bolster is a great product for new installations of turf or trees & shrubs. I would not waste the money on it for turf maintenance unless you are doing HEAVY aeration and reseed a lawn. A way to get your 'organic' customers to pony up the cash to pay $40 per 1,000sqft is to sell them on OMRI listed products. Here is the OMRI website. http://www.omri.org/
    With all of the products out there claiming to be organic, there needs to be set rules on what is truly organic - the OMRI is working in that direction by labeling products with the OMRI seal. The 5-2-4 2fe product is organic, but the addition of 2% ferrous sulfate causes it to be left off of the OMRI list. Sustane has 4 products on the list (3-4-2, 4-6-4, 5-2-4, 8-2-4). To see a full list of labeled products, go to http://www.omri.org/OMRI_about_list.html. Now you can tell your customers you are TRULY organic and to open up their wallets so you can apply an 8-2-4 fert at 10lbs per 1,000sqft to get your N requirements and still make away with a profit.

10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

money no problem i just want killer turf what is the best bio additive/ microrzal product to use to improve my soil. long term