Sutech 33" with 9 hp Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Apr 4, 2003.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering if anyone out there has experience using the Sutech 33" with the 9 hp kawasaki engine? I have heard that the unit is substantially better than the one with the Briggs engine. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no experience with it. When investigating new mowers I was strongly advised by many people not to get the Sutech, as it is not that built for commercial use. I ended up getting a Toro.

3. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

great mower for the price 1200 for the B&S model.not to good on hills because it has a tractor type diff in the rear so if your going along side a hill it will walk the other way

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

While I never saw one in person, when they were being discussed on here in earnest, I was looking at them pretty good.

They are built better than a Troy-bilt thats for sure!

But they sould have kept it narrower than a 33" mower. There are some small gates that are less than 32" and taking a 21" mower would be too little. They should have made it a 30" cut with a 31" overall width.

Just my $0.02

But they are built pretty nice for such a small mower.

Blades could be a problem. Where would you get them?

5. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I would go for the 32" metro before getting that machine. I can not down the mower persoanlly but I have learned through friends locally that they are worthless. With that said I would stick with exmark!! Sure it runs around a grand more but well worth it. The metro will last you 4+ years depending on how you treat it and the Sutech might last you that long but I would be willing to bet you will spend atleast $1000 bucks to keep it around that long.

6. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Do your self a favor and 'search SUTECH' -- they are inexpensive for a reason. I was lucky and was able to sell mine for almost what I paid. Another thread to look at 'Biggest Mistakes'
    Nuff Said
    BobR

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Bob,

Refresh our memories....

What didn't you like about it?

Poor build quality?

Poor cut or performance?

They look to be quite "overbuilt" for the light duty that a small gate mower would see.

For not much more than a top of the line 21" self propelled, you are getting another foot of cut, and quite a bit more horsepower.

I guess you never looked at the Troy-bilts, because they don't even live up to what I would consider homeowner quality.

8. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to answer a question aimed at Bob but if memory serves me well from the past posts a lot of people were having problems with the transmitions. Also have heard that here localy and from what I understand it is very expensive to have fixed or replaced.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

1. COMPACTNESS OF UNIT (ONE FOOT SHORTER THAN MOST OTHER MOWERS).
    2. 33” CUT WITH 3 BLADE CONCEPT, 18,500+ TIP SPEED.
    3. MOWS – MULCHES - BAGS (OPTION: 3.3 CU. METAL CATCHER).
    4. 11GA. ROLLED STEEL DECK, 4”DEEP (EXCELLENT LIFT)
    5. ALL CUT STEEL PULLEYS AND SPINDLE HOUSINGS.
    6. NEOPRENE SEALED SPINDLE BEARINGS W/DUST COVER & GREASABLE.
    7. 10.5 HP BRIGGS & STRATTON I/C ENGINE.
    9.0HP KAWASAKI ENGINE FOR OPTION
    8. ALL KEVLAR BELTS
    9. PNEUMATIC TIRES FRONT AND REAR W/H.D. CASTOR STRUTS.
    10. MULCH KIT PROVIDED (MULCH BLADES OPTIONAL).
    11. DIFFERENTIAL DRIVE FOR EASE OF HANDLING
    12. 3 SPEED TRANSMISSION AND ALL CUT STEEL GEARS.
    13. “SOFT TOUCH CONTROLS”
    14. CUTS MOWING TIME 50% OVER 21” MOWER.
    15. COMPARE THE QUALITY CUT TO THE OTHERS.

Looks well built to me?

Parts WOULD be one of the few drawbacks however.

10. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I got caught up in a discussion with the Sutech rep at my dealers an in a moment of weakness plopped down the bucks for this looser.. Machine was just what I was looking for, compact, light, good tip speed and inexpensive.
    Day one - excessive scalping at 2" deck height, raising deck (no easy task) resulted is an unsatisfactory cut. gee why are my shoulders hurting.
    Day two - tried again cutting at 2" while paying attention to changes in lawn elevations, worked better (less scalping) but patterns went out the window, boy I musta threw my back out.
    Day three - Perfect lawn (flat), did a nice job but my hands are killing me.

Conclusion
    pluses -- machine is quick and inexpensive
    Negatives -- Scalping, no stripes, hard to adjust height and drive engagement, poor blade mounting system, no power turning, pistol grip system is miserable (last two items were the cause of my upper body problems), down hill runaway.

Mind you that I did not use this machine for over a couple of hours each day - It will punish you, you have to manhandle it at every turn not my idea of a commercial mower.

BobR