1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Sutech Stealth - Anything Good on Newer 33" Models

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jonble, Jan 13, 2007.

1. jonble

jonble LawnSite Member

There are a lot of negative comments at www.lawnsite.com about the Sutech Stealth lawnmower. My sense is that they come from landscapers that use their $2200-$2800 mowers for many hours.

I know the Sutech 33" model has made some changes in the last 2 or so years with its problematic slipping belts and pulleys, as well as a 13 HP OHV Briggs & Stratton INTEK Engine, etc. Would any users of the newer Sutech mowers PLEASE comment if you like this machine & WHY---handling, performance, quality, etc.

I hope there are some good things other than its $500+ lower price tag than its competitors such as Billy Goat, Redhawk/Bradley, and Quick 36. It's for use only at my home for about 9000 sq. ft. of dry (afternoon) mowing conditions in New England. About 1/3 of the grass is on a slight incline (not a hill), but given yard layout I mow back & forth along the incline as oppose to up & down the incline. Mowing now takes about 60-75 minutes with a cheap (now junk) 21" MTD Yardman.

I am only considering the higher cost Sutech machine to get my lawn done quicker with 2 very young sons to spend time with versus an also considered 21" deck (e.g., Toro or Lawnboy at about $450-$600). I am not considering a tractor because of no storage place.

Though I am most considering the Sutech because there is a leftover from the 06' season that is NEW at a local dealer for a total of $1280, including the 33" with recoil engine, steel bagger, gator blades, tax & delivery. While this is a very good cost for the Sutech, it doesn't matter if the machine stinks.

Also feel free to leave comments about other 28-33" decks that I might want to consider & why in the $1500 range (perhaps "Worldlawn" mower). I say $1500 because after a bagger, tax, and setup the total will reach about $1800-$2000, or $500-$700 more than the Sutech.

Thanks for any comments for a somewhat confused newbie.....

2. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

If you think a 33" wb is going to save you enough time to justify $1500 or so expense, I would recommend the Troybilt WideCut. Troybilt got bought out by MTD, but they don't appear to have made any changes in this machine. (unlike the Troybilt lawn tractors)

This machine has 2 overlapping blades that cover the 33" cut, and with a mulch cover snapped over the discharge, the mulching performance is superior to any other multiple blade machine that does not use special mulching baffles under the deck. (keeping in mind that you can't mulch thick 6" high grass successfully with most any machine) Another handy feature that is not shared by many other small wb's is the crank to quickly raise and lower the cutting height. Also, the Troybilt has very small, almost toy-like front casters, which allow a very short wheelbase, and contribute a lot to being able to get into small spaces. They have 4 speed forward + reverse, a transaxle not a hydro.

The tab with bag is going to be about $1500. I think they can be ordered by your local Lowe's, if no one in your area stocks them. I have used this mower commercially for about 7 years, on lawns that would be too small for other wb's over 21".

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Well, they made ONE change, that being that it is unfortunately no longer made. I would buy one if they were still around:(

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

They are still available with no major changes for the worse. Now sold under the Cub Cadet name. I just ordered a batch for our store to sell. Really not a bad machine at all for light commercial use, although they are sold by Cub as a residential mower.

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, I never knew that. My bad. So it is the exact mower, only yellow and black? Hmmm... I think I will have to get one this summer!:)

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

None of MTD's websites show the Widecut as still being produced in any color. Not to say that they're not out there NOS.

I wouldn't wish a Sutech on my worst enemy.

Iv'e seen other 33" machines out there though, not sure that any are as affordible as the old troybilt. I think maybe the billygoat is about in the same price range though. I have a 33" widecut, actually this is my 3rd one. The first two were not worn our nor broken when I sold them either. (added that for the skeptics that assume they are just crap)

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

It is new in the lineup this year, so is not yet on the websites. We should have ours in stock by mid Feb.
    Also new, a line of commercial duty handheld equipment, and a new gear-drive 32" commercial walkbehind.

8. jonble,

I would go for it!

I cut 10 lawns weekly,~2 acres, 35x/season with a sutech, and for the price very happy. Not good on slopes, I have one lawn with a steep slope, is difficult with this mower.

Also have the troybilt 33, doesn't lift the grass well above 2.25" cut, sutech gives a much better cut.

All I use for mowing, but considering the quick 36, really for the slope lawn

Don't think you can buy troybilt for the price of the sutech you received.

9. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Have had one for the last year and have cut a lot of yards with it. Has been very reliable and still starts up on the first or second pull and does a good cut.You can probably cut your 9000 in about a third of the time. Thats the good. The bad is its going to make you real strong if that slope is too steep.Any chance you can do a demo on your property?

10. YES, do a demo first, or don't buy it!