Sutech Stealth ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dale's Lawn, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Dale's Lawn

Dale's Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have read some negitive comments about the Stealth. I have one and love it. I mow 20 yards and have used alot of different types of walk behinds. Toro,Scags,Honda,Burton, and a few others. ( I am friends with a local dealer and get to demo mowers ) Out of this group I like the Toro,then the Scags. But recently I demoed the Stealth and loved it. It's easy to control and fast and lays a great cut.
    So I'm just wondering what it is that you don't like about this mower.

2. extracash

extracash LawnSite Member
    from Central

The Stealth has recognized problems that Sutech is working to correct. The Stealth will not cut satisfactorily in wet grass or grass that is real tall.

Sutech is emailing a few of us with the status of their work efforts and results from their tests.

The Stealth has its benefits. The small footprint is great for average size residential lawns or lawns that require a gate pass thru.

A friend recently purchased a Snapper Pro - 36", and this mower makes the Stealth look like a 21" walk-behind. It is a great mower but is too big for our requirements.

3. Dale's Lawn

Dale's Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Is this problem with older mowers?
    Mine is new and I just finished this week mowing a tall - wet - St. Augst. yard and the cut was great and the mower ate it up. NO PROBLEM. Also I have the mulch plate on.

Thanks for any info you can give

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Who cares what we think as long as you are happy? I would not spend my hard earned money on one but to each his own I guess.

5. extracash

extracash LawnSite Member
    from Central

The Stealth that I have is also relatively new. It is interesting that you are happy with it cutting thru tall wet grass. They have not been successful doing that at the Sutech testing facility.

When the grass is wet or tall, there is a fairly wide strip down the middle that does not cut clean. I am sure that there are a number of variables, i.e. grass density, height, speed of mower, etc. that affect the cut and given certain combinations of the above, you received the cut that you like. That is great.

I can tell you that Sutech is looking closely at the size of the blades, the baffling options, design of the deck, and the speed of blades as potential causes for the problems that are being experienced.

It is good to know that you are having success.