Suv

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Feb 27, 2004.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Who uses an SUV for business? What kind of SUV do you use and what size trailer (open or closed) do you pull? I'm looking at new vehicles and I'm thinking of buying a Trailblazer or Tahoe. The max trailer weight for the Trailblazer is 6,100. Max GCWR is 11,000. The max trailer weight for a Tahoe is 7,400.

7x12 Enclosed Trailer Curb Weight = 2,000 lbs
    60" ZTR = 1200 lbs
    48" walkbehind = 500 lbs

Total weight = 3,700 lbs

I believe either vehicle would tow that kind of weight easy. Does anyone have first hand experience on this issue? Thanks!

2. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I had a full size Bronco that I just sold, I used it as a back-up truck for plowing and pulling my trailer when my truck was down.I pulled a 6.5 x12 tandum trailer. It worked OK but I prefer a pick-up because it was a pain if you have to put anything in the back. The Broco's interior would get dirty or get gas fumes from the tools or gas cans. I guess if you had racks for everything on the trailer it would better.Sometimes I pick up some garbage or a stick from a lawn an just toss it in the back of the truck, it is hard to do that with a SUV. I replaced my Broco with an ext cab pick-up so I figure I have thr best of both worlds.

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the Tahoe if money will allow. Even if the Trailblazer is able to tow the trailers weight it wont tow it as good as the Tahoe. The Tahoe is wider and therefore will feel like it's more incharge pulling the trailer. BTW... are you totally against buying a full size truck? If you are looking at Tahoes why not look at either the full size Chevy trucks or the Fords?

4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I use to use an envoy. I could a few yards of mulch and almost a yard of rock but it was slow. I ussally just towed a 4x8 trailer with a walkbehind. Did fine with that

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Dont get an suv for a work truck. The inside is gonna get trashed. The reason why suv's are so expensive is because of the nice interiors. Using that as a work truck is gonna depreciate the hell outta the thing. Don't make a bad investment. Trust me, I used to use a suburban.

6. ztrguy

from NE FL

Thanks for all the posts!!!

Ray&Christine,

I know what you are saying about it stinking up the inside of the truck. I plan on putting everything in the enclosed trailer. The only thing the vehicle will do is hook up to the trailer and take off. Nothing will be in the vehicle.

ECM Lawn,

I have pretty much ruled out buying a new pickup. This will be my personal/business vehicle. It will be my only vehicle. I was wanting to get an SUV rather than a pickup. Pickups are just so much longer and have a longer wheelbase than an SUV. I love driving SUV's. The Tahoe is quite a bit more so that's the only thing holding me back on getting it, but like you said it would probably do better than the smaller Trailblazer.

Any other suggestions????

7. ztrguy

from NE FL

jwingfield2k,

Did you haul things inside your suburban? Like a gas can, backpack blower, box full of supplies, etc? That's the only way I could see that it would trash the interior. I am going to definately store everything inside the enclosed trailer.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

ZTR guy, I'd go with the Tahoe. They are built on a 1/2 ton truck frame, basically just like a 1/2 ton truck. I'm not sure about the Trailblazer but the Tahoe is heavier duty. I think your interior will be fine just take a little extra care about keeping it clean.

9. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

Believe it or not, I do everything with a 97 S-10 Blazer right now. LOL. Tows my stuff just fine. I have a 6 1/2 x 12 open trailer, and I've had my ZTR, a standard lawn tractor, yard trailer, trimmers, etc etc on it and not had a problem.

Last year I put 4 yards of mulch on the trailer, but I didn't have to go very far.

10. ztrguy

from NE FL

DLCS,

You're probably right about going with the Tahoe, I just don't know if I can fork out that much money. I'm going to get leather seats so it will be easier to clean the interior. I can't stand cloth seats...they seem to look like a mess and look dirtier.

GrassBlaster,

I use a 94 GMC Jimmy S-10 when I'm not using the ext cab 1500 pickup. I have a 6 1/2 x 12 open trailer with a ZTR and walkbehind. Along w/ the trimmers and backpack blowers, etc. I must say that I like driving the SUV more than I do the pickup. It's much easier to turn around and get in and out of those tight spots.