Suzuki 2 cycle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by greenred, Jul 18, 2008.

1. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I have a Toro Proline with a Suzuki 2 cycle on it. I have not messed with it in a about 3 years. Last time I did it was having problems and it has been so long I forgot what they where.

Anyway today I took it out, put some fresh gas in it, primed it and with a few pulls it started right up. It then died after about 1 to 2 mins of runtime. I played with it for while and could not get it to start again. When priming it I noticed the bulb felt like it had hardened quite a bit. Later I noticed that around the bulbs edges some of the rubberized material had broken off.

Will holes in the carb bulb keep a engine from running? Also does someone know where I can find a carb rebuild kit for that old Suzuki engine online?
  2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

To be honest, I've only worked on one of these. That was one too many. Just don't throw good money at it.
    Can't help you with spares.

atb Phil
  3. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Greenred, That is the best dang engine that used to be, what ever it takes, you'll never be sorry running that engine. Used Toro 22040's with TV5002's on 'em are bringing 500 bucks here since EPA said no more 2-cycles. If the primer bulb is broken, It's not going to keep running,the commercial machines did not have primer bulbs, the carbs had a choke, acuated by the throttle cable being pushed all the way forward to choke (start) position. The residential models may not have a chokeplate type carb,( I try to stay away from residential), but go to the Toro homepage and see what a primer bulb is going for today, don't be surprised if you have to buy the whole air cleaner housing just to get a primer bulb, if that is the case,PM me and we'll convert it to a commercial set-up for a lot cheaper than what I think their going to charge you for a primer bulb setup.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If its the primer bulb I'm thinking of, its used on a huge variety of engines. You should be able to just get the bulb.
  5. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Thats weird because its mounted on a commercial grade Toro Proline Mower? The mower is about 8 years old. I will definitely think about converting it to the other set up.

Thanks all!