Sva_concrete photos

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by SVA_Concrete, Feb 28, 2013.

1. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the process for exposed aggregate?

2. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

For starters the the concrete mix is a bit special, for example only pea gravel for brown exposed. Or only 78 stone for gray exposed 3/8 size stone.

Next you want to pour a bit stiff, 4 inch slump is ideal we will pour a 5" in the summer. Strike off the concrete as accurate as possible and only float enough to close the surface. Over floating will sink the stone/gravel and pull up too much cream.

Spray on control set, this delays the set of the top 1/4 inch or so of mortar, and wash with a pressure washer once the bottom has set enough

The key is uniformity of the mix, enough help to work the mud at the exact timing. And a good read on the setting of the concrete.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. mxridernorth

mxridernorth LawnSite Senior Member

Nice work! I can't imagine the stress on a big poor, after all the hard prep work, and then knowing you have such a short window and so many parameters and only one shot to get it right.

4. SVA_Concrete

The key is pre planning, and the ability to adapt. I dont get stressed much anymore. Just do what you know.

Keep in mind, when you pour a 100 yard pours, the first truck is batched roughly 1.5 hour earlier than the last. The same goes for the finishing procedures.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. SVA_Concrete

A few more photos

second floor 0.jpg

second floor1.jpg

second floor.jpg

circle pit1.jpg

circle pit.jpg

mmonster1.jpg

monster footings.jpg

busting concrete.jpg

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Nice stuff sva. I love pouring without forms, makes me feel like a cowboy. What's the circle for?

7. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton LawnSite Senior Member

All the sidewalk on the front half of my parent's house is exposed river rock. Looks awesome, but it's hard on bare feet, yes i'm part hillbilly, and sucks to shovel snow off it. At least they didn't use it for the pool deck.

8. SVA_Concrete

A few More shots of a few pours from the job we are on now.

33,000 square foot 3 story building.

IMG_20130720_105118_207.jpg

IMG_20130720_052111_384.jpg

IMG_20130622_192354_466.jpg

IMG_20130622_192357_984.jpg

IMG_20130624_170245_890.jpg

9. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

looking good man. any tips on using a power trowel/helicopter? I rented one for a loading dock but it was a POS and i didnt really get the experience I wanted. Lots of garage slabs, sport courts etc lately and I want to give it another shot.

10. T Scapes

T Scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

do you own equipment or do you rent as need per job?