Swampy mess!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coach, May 16, 2003.

1. Coach

Coach LawnSite Member

I have an area, on a commercial account, that I have not been able to mow because of all the rain. It is starting to resemble a swamp. My question is is there anything I can do other than wait on mother nature to take its course. I have thought about putting the rubber boots on and weed eat what I can. I would appreciate any thought or ideas.

Thanks....Coach

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Wait it out, I say. Not worth all that trouble.

MATT

3. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

hey coach i had the same situation and was getting further behind, remembered my dad had one of those dr trimmer on wheels, i got it cut but it made a horrible mess, me and machine. but with all the rain we've been getting i had to do it. short of that i would have used my big stihl trimmer.

good luck, keith

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would like to add, call the owners and explain why it has not been cut.

MATT

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How big of an area is it? I have, at times, put my yellow boots on, and knocked it out with trimmers. Atleast this way, it will help it dry a little when the sun DOES hit it. Don't bother with any pick-up at this point, though. It's not worth it. Raking this stuff oput of water, and trying to drag it with a tarp, it's just not feasible for the labor costs - compared to what actually get done. It can always be picked up after it dries. ;)

6. Coach

Coach LawnSite Member

The size of the mess approximately 20 yard by 20....give or take.. Walker Talker, I thought the same about weed eating the area so maybe it mite help dry....
    This same area stayed green all summer despite it being dry. I wonder if there is some underground spring or something else. There is a new restraunt up the way about 200yards...

Appreciate all the responses.. Coach

7. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I say wait it out, but while you do maybe you could start talking to the property owner about solving the drainage problem. Could be a big profit maker for you if you could truck in some gravel & topsoil, then seed. I am doing exactly that for a property I service, although the damaged area is not a large as what you're dealing with. My client has several small areas totalling about 1500 sq.ft.

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Rent a 2" trash pump, drain the area then cut it and impress your customer.. Then bill him for everything..
    Just kidding discuss it with the customer first before doing it.