Swap 15 kohler to 18 Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2k1yzfr1, Sep 22, 2004.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 03 exmark metro 36 with a 15 kohler and was thinking about buying a 18 hp kohler to replace it. I use the mower for mulching and just doesn't seem to have enough power in thick St Augustine. How much money would my 15 kohler with maybe 100 or so hours be worth?? And is that 18 kohler a very good motor??

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

personally, 18horse is ALOT for a 36. also, if you do go that route, i would look into a kawa instead, if you can get the wiring harness. hope that helps, but again, 18 on a 36 is sooo much, but thats a good thing i guess?

3. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Do it.......go with the higher horse power. You wont regret it. Go with a Kohler. Iv had nothing but great luck with any Kohler iv run. I put on over a thousand hours on them too. My Kawasaki burns oil on every start up. It dose clear up ones I run it.

4. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

Why dont you just modify the 15hp to get greater hp? I have a mechanic who is a licensed aircraft mechanic who can take an engine on these mowers and double the horsepower on it.
    You can mill down the head, install cam, etc....

This way you will still have a smaller, lighter weight engine but with more torque and power

5. 2k1yzfr1

I'd imagine the cammed 15 kohler with the decked and port matched head would be the talk of the town. :D But I can get a brand new 18 kohler for $665 and I would think my 15 kohler with under 100 hours would be worth maybe 200-300??

6. 2k1yzfr1

any idea what my 15 kohler would be worth??

7. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

is it a kohler "courage" or "commander" ? I have a new 15 k courage thats a great engine so far that I'd say is worth at least $800 & with 100 hours maybe $500.
    You cant get a 12 hp briggs for under that.

8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe the problem is that the St. Augustine just needs dethatching. Is the 15 bogging down because the turf is a mile deep?

I agree that 18 sounds like overkill on a 36" mower, and if some of the lawns on your route need dethatching, you're missing out on a chance to make some loot on that. If the 15 is enough power on other types of grass, you might be making the wrong diagnosis to begin with.

9. 2k1yzfr1

It's a Kohler command. The mower just bogs down b/c the grass is extremely thick. On a few yards we are mowing in 2nd to keep it from bogging down. Then again I don't know if 3 extra horsepower would enable us to go faster, since it would just put more grass underneath the deck to be mulched up.

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

18hp too much?? Hogwash... I'd put a 20 on it.. :D Then again, I am a POWER MONGER!!