Swap manual for auto?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Henry, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone here ever swapped a manual trans for an auto?

The truck I would like to do this in is an 81 International S1800. I've used it for 3 years with the manual but it's getting to be really annoying. The trans has shifting problems right now and I figure if it needs changing why not an auto?

Can it be done?

2. noclevername

noclevername LawnSite Member

I plow for a tranny shop, and they say your best bet is to find another truck (wreckers ?) that's automatic for parts. Should be similar year, engine etc. Then just a matter of swapping parts.

3. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

You'll probably save yourself a lot of grief if you go with a floor shifter (I know B&M makes one) instead of installing the column shifter. BTW, I'd let a tranny shop do it unless you're a pretty good mechanic.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Its going tobe a expensive swap you can put a used transmission in but if the sucker goes south on you your looking at a 5000 dollar bill to get it rebuilt. Do you have a 2 spd rear axle if so you may have to swap the center section out for a single speed unit. What does this truck have for a engine is it gas or diesel I know old Cargostar COEs used to have Alisons in them I think they were 6spds.

Personally I would either go find a truck that has a automatic or suffer with the manual I prefer manual myself steep hills and automatic transmissions don't mix.

Good Luck