swapping engines on a Super Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Lazer Man, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Lazer Man

Lazer Man LawnSite Member
    from SW Pa.

We have a 3 year old Super Z that we'd like to swap a 25 hp Kawi to a 25 hp Kohler. does anyone have an idea if this swap is possible. Please don't say why not throw in another Kawi because this engine has been nothing but trouble for us. But any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Bob :waving: :waving:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am pretty sure the engine will bolt up to the frame.
    We never used a 25hp Kohler on our Super's, only 27hp and 28hp EFI, so I can not say with any certainty.
    Why not look at the 27hp? I can get you the spec that we use and you can buy the engine and wiring harness and exhaust and have a OEM set up still.
    If you already have the 25hp Kohler then there are some items I would be concerned about.
    Differences in the engine such and crankshaft length and diameter and key way size are things I would be concerned about, not to mention wiring and throttle and choke controls.

Pj

3. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

I
    think you would be better off using a 27 hp kohler at this point. The little differnece in money off the cost the engine will be well worth it.Hustler has the parts available for the switch from the 27 kohler super Z. Wiring will be a issue.The kawasaki ignition needs no power to run just a ground for shut down. Some kohlers have the SAM igntion which requires power.Not all have this depending on the spec.If you have the heavy duty air filter system this also may be an issue.If you dont have the heavy duty air filter I would change it now.Really makes a big difference in air filter changes. Not a large on but one to to account for. Exhaust will be different.I am not sure it will worth the difference in money to change this kawasaki powered to a kohler. It can be done if you like kohlers over kawasaki.

Some one with some experence in repowering will not have a problem. ​