Swapping Kawasaki engines 23hp to 25hp

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scas0130, Apr 21, 2005.

1. scas0130

scas0130 LawnSite Member
    from Cary NC

I have a 52" Bobcat ZT 200 with a 23hp Kawasaki that is shot. It is a FH680V-AS05. It has a 1 1/8" shaft that is 3.94" and keyed. Can I replace this engine with a 25 hp Kawasaki with the same 1 1/8" shaft and 4 5/16" keyed shaft if I space the motor up the difference? Will the shaft be threaded the same? How about the wiring? Will the mufflers be the same? I have found a cheaper 25 hp than the 23hp.

Thanks
    Huck

2. kawasakitech

kawasakitech LawnSite Member

I've never had anyone space the engine up to compensate for a longer PTO shaft but as far as the rest of your questions, the answer is yes it will work.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

If the crankshaft is threaded deep enough and the keyway slot is in the right place you can adjust the length.

Mark where you want to cut, install a bolt, start the engine and hold a hacksaw against the mark on the crankshaft and have patience.

If you use spacers they need to have a contact area equal, or close to equal, to the contact area of the engine.

Oldtimer

4. rrobinson1

rrobinson1 LawnSite Member

I am curious if this swap worked. I have a ZTR 200 with the same engine FH680V-AS05 that just threw a rod after 5 years. I have had to change out the top oil seal every year as it leaked. This year it leaked all at once and the oil was thrown out before I realized it and broke a rod. Now I am looking for another engine. I may look at the 25HP or a different brand (Honda). Any reccommendations???????? Can anyone give me the current Kawasaki engine options?

Thanks

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

A Kohler will work ok with just a few changes on the wiring ends. A new harness won't be necessary.

Oldtimer