Swapping mower decks possible?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by carcrz, May 3, 2008.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Is it possible to swap out a mower deck from one brand to another?
    My reason for asking - About 2 years ago, the left side of my Ferris IS3000 deck started cutting about 1/4" lower than the rest. Everything measures up correctly side to side & front to back. Tire pressure is spot on. Spindles & their corresponding pulleys were all changed out. New belt & tensioned properly. New blades were put on. As a last resort I was thinking about finding another deck & trying it out.

If it'll work, what seems to be the best one in tall & thick Fescue/Bluegrass? It's only got a Kawasaki 23 hp motor on it, so I should probably stay right around 61".

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't sound like you measured from the blade tip to the floor, You could have hit something at some point and warped the top of the deck where the spindle mounts. I have solved this type problem by placing flat washers under the spindle housing at the mount screws, Also have removed the spindle then took a BFH to the low area and straighted it back out.

Just a couple ideas.....

Good Luck

3. TOOMUCHWALKING

TOOMUCHWALKING LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark 60 that needed a similar problem fixed. It cut alright, but I had to grind a slight radius into every blade to keep them from clanging together. The local Exmark technician figured out that the deck had gotten bent at the spindle. There are some spindle repair disks available for this that get welded on after straightening. For you it might be quick and dirty to just space the other two blades down by that amount

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say you're on the right track. I've never had any luck beating on the deck w/ a hammer though. I always just end up w/ my arm ringing for an hour when I'm done. I'll measure from the tips this week & see how they measure up. Thanks for the tip on the washers!