1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sweating bullets

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Perry1961, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Perry1961

Perry1961 LawnSite Member

I got into the lawn business after Katrina. It's always hot in the New Orleans area,but nobody should sweat like this. After 30 minutes,I'm soaking wet. Seriously. Head to foot,wringing wet. I carry extra shirts to work,but changing pants between yards is hard to do,LOL. Maybe I'm in the wrong line of work. I hope not. I really like cutting grass. Still,it's embarassing to be soaking wet at 8 a.m. Anyone out there got any helpful ideas?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Have you considered moving?
  3. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Comes with the job bro, theres an old saying if you cant take the heat get out of the LAWN BIZ:laugh: :laugh:
  4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

Not to be a wiseazz but seriously what did you think it was going to be like. Soaking wet all day is the norm for any outside job in Okla. Even if you start at daylight it takes about 15 minutes to get soaked. Changing shirts would be an act of futility here.
  5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well wecome to the lawn care business, if you want to stay cool I suggest a desk job.
  6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I tell my quys to wear swim trunks .... they dry out fast ....n when they get the tropical ones ....kinda follows my whole Fantasy thing .... da plane .... da plane ;-)
  8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn care employees wearing speedo's. That would be an interesting sight.
  9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I was laying floor in an Air Conditioned building today and I had sweated thru my shirt in 20-30 minutes..........HARD WORK-----> SWEAT........I really would not worry about it......find something comfortable and move on...

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The idea is to let the sweat accumulate on the shirt then the wind will cool you down. Our brothers from the south wear two shirts, one short sleeve cotton and long sleeve on top. That keeps the sun off and makes the sweat flow. I don't think it is possible to learn how to deal with high temp and high humidity in a short time, it takes years of growing up and working in it.