Sweaty Clothes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnyjay, Jun 25, 2000.

1. johnnyjay

johnnyjay LawnSite Member

Do you guys take extra clothes to change into when you sweat and your shirts are soggy wet? What kind of shirts or Tees do you recommend?<p><br> <br> <br> <br><p>----------<br>Johnny Jay<br>

2. bill phagan

bill phagan Guest

I remember those days of heavy duty sweat and my stinky self. Headbands, hats, nothing controlled it.....and did I stink! If I'd put an Odor Eater in my shoe, I would've disappeared! I would wear the most profession, lightest and lightest color shirts I could find and keep them on for cooling agent. Three or four per day may get you through.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

johnnyjim and all others--&quot;the question is how do you handle sweat?&quot;<p>the answer is --&quot;very well, thank you!&quot;<p>now to the point. I love the summer heat. the hotter the better, which is easy for me to say in TENNESSEE! I'd probably sing a different song in ALA, GA, FLA, LA etc. but I live in TN and I live year round for the heat of summer. in other words I freeze my crappin rear end off in winter.<p>how do I deal with looking presentable after, or during the mowing day? I don't. If I call on a client and I'm soaked (ransid) so what. If I've got a meeting with a contract person or purchasing agent, I set it up for the first of the day or a day that I don't mow. that is, if I think no ball cap and sweaty shirt will make a difference in getting the job.<p>otherwise, I shower twice a day, mabe three if I have a date with my lovely spouse to go out on the town.<p>in the heat of the day...no appologies needed for a man that looks like he's been working (assuming you aren't stuck in a elevator with him and he's taken care of the B O pitts).<p>by the way, I'll get flamed for this...but I think changing into a clean dry shirt while you are nasty as s--t from sweat in the middle of the day, is nastier than staying in your old dirty, sweaty work shirt. just my opinion!:)<p>good luck,<p>GEO

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

<br>Couldn't agree with you more Geo. I couldn't imagine changing into a clean shirt in the middle of the day. What for? The sticky sweaty feeling is still on ya anyway.<br>Plus I have enough laundry to do without adding more.<p>I never thought I would be able to handle this type of work. <br>I work with my husband, and I have always been the type to always have my hair and make-up just so. Fingernails painted, the whole nine yards.<p>But I think I have adapted pretty well to being yucky all day. <p>My husband always teases me. He says I must not be normal because he never sees me sweat. My shirts never get wet. But I still feel sticky.<p>Of course, I do my best not to go into any public places when I'm working. He buys the gas, goes into the convenience stores, etc.<p>And I never appreciated a shower more than I do now.<p>All estimates we do when we are clean. Early morning, or after we shower in the evening. We have polo shirts with our <br>company logo on them that we wear for estimates. It's always good to make a first impression.<p>

5. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

In my line of work I seldom have contact with<br>my customers and I usually work alone,so if I<br>stink,then too bad.When I was in the Army we<br>would be out in the bush and not wash for 2-3<br>weeks.After a while you can smell a clean <br>person a mile off,just from the soap.Everyone<br>else stunk as well so noone noticed.<p>Karl<br>

6. Hello Everybody:<p>LOL, we just stunk worst than dogs & put up with it!<p>When your working day in & day out in this Georgia, heat & humidity, a shirt wet with sweat is welcomed. It helps cool you off, remember those little breezes that would just about give ya chills.<p>For some strange reason, it seemed my sweat band stunk the worst. I would continusly keep it rung out & was all the time soaking it in water, trying to keep it cleaned out to no satisfaction.<p>I would do the same with my shirt. I would never put on a dry clean shirt, unless my shirt was just filthy. If I did put one on, I would usually go ahead & wet it, before putting it on.<p>Also a little of topic for this thread, but if your real hot, you really put a strain on your body by running that A/C in your truck going job to job. You are better off just rolling down the windows.<p>I learned the hard way because I had a real bad heat stroke & Doctor said what contributed to it the most was getting in & out of that air conditioned truck.<p>Drastic temperature changes can put a real strain on the body. When I worked outside I really never noticed how hot it was until going into house or getting in to truck with A/C on then going right back outside. That's when the heat really got to me.<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

grassmaster is right about the AC. I never use the AC in the truck while I'm working. NEVER!<p>I remember the stories about bobby allison riding around in hueytown, al in the summer with the windows rolled up and the heater turned as high as it would go!<p>GEO

8. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

::My husband always teases me. He says I must not be normal because he never sees me sweat.::<p>Women don't sweat, they perspire. ;)<p>Your words have moved me (Major Tom, is it? :) ), as my wife and I have been discussing the possibility of her becoming my much-needed assistant in the field should things come apart at her current job. She wonders if she can 'handle it', but I think we both know deep down she can. Plus, we make a great team!<p>As for the sweat issue, I side with ol' geo on this one: I love the heat! Although I don't live in a climate where we get a lot of really hot or really cold days, I still live for those 100 degree days in the heart of the summer when I get *really* sweaty and *really* dirty. I just feel like I'm really trying when I'm really sweating. ;)<p>I never change shirts (unless going from a full shirt to a tank top to work on my tan ;) ), and never really thought about bidding in a 'prettier' state. I figure the customers know that I work, right?<p>The A/C issue is very interesting, though. I tend to use the A/C a lot on hot days, because I really get uncomfortable when I have to be *out of* the sun (sitting in the truck, et. al.) and it cools me down on the way to the next job. I'll definitely stop doing so now, for health reasons. <p>Thanks, Grass Master, for the tip!<p>-TGC

9. Hello Everybody:<p>A few more things:<p>Gatorade is good but I had Doctor say that much over a Quart a day is bad for you, because of the high levels of Sodium & Potassium. <p>If overheated don't go jump in a pool, you need to slowly cool down. The Editor of our newspaper had been doing yardwork all morning long, was very overheated & jumped in & it killed him.<p>Teenager was praticing football at school, was very overheated, jumped in cold shower, killed him also.<p>Water & not real cold either is best. Got to have something else to drink then get some kind of real juice.<p>Wear plenty of clothes, to protect you from sun. Protect you from skin cancer, later on down the road & to keep ya cool.<p>The suns rays when directly shining on you is a lot hoter than if you have clothing on.<p>I found out after heat stroke, that me wearing tennis shoes made my feet very hot. <p>I never wore them much. I mainly wore steel toed boots, because I was always walking up to other guys on mowers. It saved my feet several times.<p>Straw hats do make your head sweat & when your head is wet from sweat it helps you stay cool.<p><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Hiya TGC,<p>Actually our names are Matt and Jodi.<br>..<p>I'm sure your wife will be able to handle it.<br>If I can, anyone can...lol<p><br>One thing to remember if you guys decide to work together. If she is going to be out in the sun all day, have her wear a hat. Her hair will take a beating especially if it is long and she colors her hair. And she'll need to condition it often.<p>Major Tom's wife :)<br>