sweepin the curb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 20, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do u guys sweep the curb every week after cutting, wacking, and edging?one customer insisted last year that the curb be swept at each visit. i told him for an extra fee we would do it, he agreed. now, we do all our customers this way. after blowing everything off the walkways, we sweep the curb area with a broom and pick up the debris with a shovel. it doesnt sound like much, but when u drive down the street, these properties look much neater than the rest.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we don't sweep the curb but we will blow the curb clean with the blowers. Customers love it and it sets their houses apart from others.

3. Ditto, sometimes we have to do it before we mow also.

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I make it a policy to clean out the gap between the curb and the street during spring clean-ups. Really just do it with a few shovels and a good broom. After that all I will do is blow the curb, unless it's a special customer, and then I sweep as needed.

5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

We also have to sometimes blow before we start and after we're through.

6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I think this is ONE feature that separates pros from scrubs! For normal mowing, our SOP for blowing off a property is to blow the curb up onto the park strip as its usually minimal clippings, then hit the walks, drive,etc. Also make sure nothing gets blown towards doorways, garage doors, patios, decks, etc.

In the early fall before we leave debris for curbside pick-up, we blow the leaves from the curbline onto the turf to be sucked up w/ the mowers. Then when finished blow off like above.

7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you kidding? I am not your boy wanna. Before I leave a property all of the hard surfaces are blown off and things are as they shuold be. If you want to see someone with a broom , wait for your wife to come home.

8. Like all of you I blow all the curbs, sidewalks,driveways off ect............ but it also pays to have a broom with you i have 2 stable brooms, and a corn broom on the trailer , one has a scraper on the top of the broom head , it comes in real handy, at my ball diamonds I blow out all the pavillions but u cant blow broken beer bottles or glass with out blowin it onto parking areas, so I have to sweep it up at $60 hr for glass removal:D (minus tipping fee:D ) some times when theres a tournement there and some times the organizers want brooms left there I will leave one or 2 there, and if they go missing the municipality charges the organizers what ever i want for them. its only happend once were someone took a stable broom and one of my scoop shovels , I contacted the park converor he gave me the organizer`s addy and I delivered a bill..... i got the shovel and broom back with in 2 days of the bill being delivered.

oh ya the bill was for $225:D :D :blob4:

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Agreed, if there is a mess at the curb we will blow everything on the lawn and suck it up with the mowers. Or if it is cut we will blow it on the lawn so one pass with the mower will suck it all up. :cool:

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

bobby, I don't understand. Why the broom over a blower?

Unless you're talking about sand and gravel rather then grass clippings? But if that's the case, I don't see why it would need it every visit?

Clue me in.