1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sweet gum balls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by big james, Jan 27, 2002.

1. big james

big james Banned
    from texas

O.K. fellows how do you handle thede darn things ,will one of those pull behind sweepers you see homeowners using work .I hate trying to bag they are real good at throwing belts off mowers.:(
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Theres a chemical called Snipper that you inject into the tree. This prevents flowers in the spring and ball in the fall. I haven't tried it yet.
  3. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I use my Little Wonder and blow them all off to one side. Then you may do as you choose with them.
  4. big james

big james Banned
    from texas

Thanks Bob .I wondered if you could essentially castrate one of these trees ,so I guess you can:D . Where dou you get this product?
  5. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Snipper works but you wont get any flowers.

Yes a sweeper works if you get the higher RPM one

I broke a 300.00 window 2 years ago with a sweet gum ball.

6. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I use a power broom or blower to pile them and then haul them away. Three of my customers got tired of the sweet gum balls and cut down the trees.
  7. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

A billy goat vac works good.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

By clicking on the Search button (available at the top of every page) you can find past threads on this very subject. This thread was published in a national lawn magazine last year:
    Gum Balls
  9. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Snipper is sold by Tree Tech. You can e-mail them at: info@treetech.net or call them at (352) 528-5335
  10. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a walker on a very leaf and gum ball rich environment and it got 'em up.